nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

000 miles..bought used..March power steering became intermittent

Hi Mini People,

I am writring from the Bahamas. I have had a 2004 Mini S w/ 75,000 miles (bought used) here for a year. In March power steering became intermittent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. We got by. In July it started stalling on hills. We found that it we ran the a/c problem would be averted. So we did that. We were just gone for 6 weeks and when we arrived back the car started right up - drove 1/4 mile to the dock and back with the luggage, on Sunday, and hasn't run since. It did start at first and ran for 3-5 seconds before stalling. Now it wont even start. Turns over but just wont spark. Most think it is a fuel problem which could be the filter or the pump. I am told these are "in the tank". wondering if this is true AND how we can go about diagnosing the problem. My husband is coming here from the States shortly and could bring parts if we knew what we needed. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks you wonderful Mini People, Beth
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hello Beth, I'm Billy and i will be assisting you with your problem

Customer:

Hi

Billy :

you may first try to change the fuel filter,

Billy :

hi

Billy :

...

Customer:

where is it?

Billy :

although the minis are known for faulty fuel pumps

Customer:

and where is the pump?

Billy :

The Fuel Filter is located under the back passenger side seating area. You need to pull up the lower portion of the back seat, Front comes straight up, the back releases when it is then pulled forward.?

Billy :

the pump is there as well underneath it

Customer:

With close to 80,000 miles anything could be faulty!

Billy :

yes, minis' fuel pumps are the most notorious

Billy :

!!

Billy :

would you like pictures of fuel filter and pump location?

Customer:

are you still there? Last 2 lines disappeared!

Billy :

yes i am here

Customer:

Where is the filter? Where is the Pump? With 80,000 miles anything could be "faulty"!

Billy :

Billy :

i'm sending you pictures to further explain

Customer:

OK, I have the location. Any way to know if filter is clogged, dirty etc? And/or, any way to know if pump is operational?

Billy :

ok

Customer:

Also, there have been cases here of water in the gas. Any way to diagnose this situation? And to solve the problem?

Billy :

you remove the rear seat and you listen for a wining noise from the pump when you turn the igntion on

Billy :

if there's the whining noise like that of a small electric motor than the pump is good

Billy :

and you only need to change the filter

Billy :

and if there is no noise coming from it even when try to start the car then the pump needs to be changed

Customer:

How dirty would the filter have to be for it to not even start?

Customer:

Your best guess would be that pump needs replacement, right?

Billy :

well it would look like the one in the last picture i sent you: completely clogged

Billy :

yes my best guess is the pump

Billy :

but you can check by listening to see if it's working

Billy :

Do you need further explanation?

Billy :

Please keep me updated so i make sure my answer is satisfactory, and kindly click the ACCEPT button so i get paid for my time.

Customer:

Unfortunately none of your pics are coming through. funny since my laptop is new. But I'll take your word for a clogged fuel filter!! Sounds nansty.

Customer:

And what of the water in the gas situation.

Billy :

wait

Billy :

well

Billy :

if the pump is working

Billy :

and the filter is not clogged, there maybe water in the gas, in which case you will need to remove the gas tank, have it cleaned and put back

Billy :

Was that clear enough?

Billy :

can you see the picture now?

Billy :

Do you nee further explanation?

Billy :

Please keep me updated so i make sure that my answer was satisfactory, and kindly click the ACCEPT button so i get paid for my time, and leave good feedback as i will do to you. Looking forward to serve you again, Thank you, Billy.

Customer:

Thank You! Sorry, someone came to my door. I did see the last pic you sent but not sure what I am looking at. don't like the sound of the removal of gast tank idea. Others seem more likely.

Billy :

this is under the back seat

Billy :

(the last picture)

Billy :

and the black cylindrical looking object is the clogged filter

Billy :

Do you need further explanation?

Customer:

ok got it. thanks. How much am I charged when I click accept?

Billy :

18$

Customer:

The original $18 or another?

Billy :

the original deposit

Billy :

kindly leave good feedback;)

Customer:

Ok = good deal. thanks for the help = another satisfied customer!!!

Billy :

Thank you!

Billy :

Looking forward to dealing with you in the future!