Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1994 S10: engine will back fire..control module and it still does it

Customer Question
I have 1 1994 S10...
I have 1 1994 S10, 4.3 engine. Problem is when I am driving it and step on the gas the engine will back fire and then take off. I replaced the control module and it still does it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
10/2/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

is this a tbi or a sfi[vortec] engine?

Customer :

It is the vortec engine, i just wnet and started it and when it is park there is no hesitation or backfire, only when it is being driven.

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer :

Engine light does not come on, I do not have the capability to get computer codes.

tims auto repair :

first..if you haven't already,tune it up..new plugs,wires,rotor and cap..the distributer cap and the rotor can give a fit sometimes

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

you need to check the fuel pressure

tims auto repair :

these must have no less than 55psi at all times

tims auto repair :

a clogged fuel filter may restrict the pressure..but,it is very common to have a weak fuel pump in these vortec engine

Customer :

I have replaced the fuel filter, would it back fire if the fuel pressure was low?

tims auto repair :
tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

this would be the most likely problem ..sense the engine light does not stay on

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

a fuel pressure test will confirm this

tims auto repair :

so,you need to test it first

tims auto repair :
Customer :

What is the process for testing fuel pressure?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i will need to switch from chat

tims auto repair :

give me a minute

Tim's Auto Repair

this should help you

please print

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Testing and Inspection

Central Multiport Fuel Injection (CMFI)
Fuel Supply System CMFI

PROCEDURE

• Turn engine "OFF" and relieve system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Release Procedure.
  • Connect the fuel pressure gauge to the pressure connection. Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gauge to avoid spillage.
  • "START" engine and observe fuel pressure reading. It should be 380-420 kPa (55-61 psi).
  • Turn engine "OFF" and relieve fuel pressure.
  • Remove fuel pressure gauge.
  • Reinstall fuel pressure connection cap.
  • "START" engine and check for fuel leaks.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic