Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

1998 Dodge Neon: Revs well in the shop..under load..limp mode..coil

I have a 1998 Dodge Neon w/ 2.0L SOHC. Revs well in the shop but when put under load, acts as if it goes into limp mode. Have replaced plugs, wires & coil. What should be done next. No codes showing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
When you are putting it under load, is this while you are driving or are you doing this sitting still with your foot on the brake?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is while you are driving
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Ok, so when under load, the engine is misfiring?

Engine runs rough under load?

Has your check engine light turned on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, the engine does not seem to misfire, but cannot accel. above 3500 rpm. When driving on a level roadway, if you only give it about 10% throttle, car will accelerate. When you floor the pedal, tranny downshifts and no acceleration. Again, no check engine light. Plugged the OBD-II in and shows no codes active.
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Ok, thanks. So you have the 3 speed transmission by the looks of it and there are no electrical sensors or computers that control how it shifts.

Based on what you're saying it appears you have an internal problem with the transmission itself. In a case like this I would be looking at the condition of the fluid for starters. Is it nice an bright red or sort of burnt looking. Burnt looking means an internal problem.

I would also drop the pan and inspect for signs of debris in the bottom that will help confirm an internal problem.