Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2002 Monte Carlo SS: with the 3800 Series II V6..wouldnt restart..die

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Monte...
I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS with the 3800 Series II V6 in it. I was driving it tonite, and it just died out of the blue and wouldn't restart. It will turn over and start, but die immediately. There is a strong smell of raw fuel when trying to start the car coming from the exhaust. We trailered it to my friends garage and tried starting it again with the same results. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, then reconnected and the car started right up and ran for approx. 5-10 minutes, then quit again, just like it did earlier. Attempts to start the car after that did the same thing as before. It would fire, then die immediately. There were no symptoms that led up to this. Any ideas?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
10/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: danny, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
danny
danny, Mechanic
Chat Conversation Started
danny :

My Answer is based on clues, symptoms and info in your question. Please include everything. Thanks

danny :

Hi is the a check engine light ahve you checked codes?

danny :

Is there a check engine light. Have you checked for codes. sorry for typo

Customer :

I have not pulled codes on it yet. When the car tries to start, there is no CEL.

Customer :

Like I said, I had just pulled the battery on it, so that would have cleared any codes stored, right?

danny :

when it dies is there

danny :

it will reset but not clear. they just become inactive.

danny :

can you replace fuel pressure relay? switch it

Customer :

Where would it be located on this car?

Customer :

That's not the same thing as the fuel pressure regulator is it?

danny :

no

danny :

I will get it for you

danny :

i got it one minute

Customer :

k

Customer :

Okay..which one am I looking for? I do apologize, but I'm at home and the car is still at my buddy's house in his garage sitting on the lift I conveniently helped him install this past weekend...lol, so he owes me. But with it being there, and me being here, I can't run out and try switching things around.

Customer :

Is it the one that says f/pmp relay 15 on it?

Customer :

err..f/pmp rly 15A rather..

danny :

sorry I was researching your issue

danny :

you still there

Customer :

Yep..Trying to stay awake..lol

danny :

this is the under the hood fuse block it says fuel pump there are two relay's it included right on top of each other.

Customer :

So you saying in the diagram you sent me, that the relay I am looking for is in the upper left-hand corner?

Customer :

If it makes any difference, when the ignition switch is turned on, you can hear the fuel pump running until the system is pressurized.

danny :

yes

danny :

but its stopping after a couple of seconds

Customer :

If that relay was bad, would the fuel pump still run when the ignition switch was turned to "on"?

danny :

it would reset when turned off if still good.

danny :

or weak

Customer :

Not sure I understand what you mean by "it would reset when turned off if still good"?

danny :

relays reset if they get to hot if they are weak like a weak breaker they wil reset but blow ever time a little amount of voltage goes to it

Customer :

I see. Can the relay that is underneath it for the DRLs be swapped with the the Fuel Pump relay?

danny :

read it to make sure its the same amps and circutry

Customer :

Does this sort of thing happen often?

Customer :

I mean, is it a common issue I should say..

danny :

If fuel pump is weak and pullling amps to much relay may be good but just blowing like it should.

danny :

I just replace one on my fleet van stranded in parking lot

danny :

it does happen alot

Customer :

Okay. Any idea why it started and ran for a while after pulling the battery cable?

danny :

Is your security light on?

Customer :

I did also notice that right before it died after running for a while after pulling the battery cable, the engine RPMs seemed to surge, then it died. As for the security light, I don't recall seeing that come on.

danny :

This could be a module. also really need a scanner on it can you get one I have one but would love a lift in my garage

danny :

My friend found one for 2 grand I bet its worth every penny

Customer :

I have an Autotap that I can put on it. I don't have access to anything like the GM Tech II, which I would love to get my hands on.

danny :

If you can get me codes I can help even more. If you find out codes

danny :

all i need is the code number

Customer :

Yeah, my friend has been waffling back and forth about getting one for the past 20 years, and his wife finally got tired of hearing about it and told him to just get the damned thing, so he did. I think he paid around $1400 for his, but like I said, we put it up ourselves. That saved him some money, I'm sure but boy are the pieces heavy.

Customer :

Each post weighs in at around 600lbs.

Customer :

I will hook the computer up to the car first thing in the morning and see if I can pull some codes from it.

danny :

I bet

danny :

ok see ya then

Customer :

So how does the payment thing on here work? Do you try the suggestions out then accept? Never done this before..lol

danny :

book mark page

Customer :

Okay. Thanks Danny.

danny :

you can accept anytime i help even after accept.

danny :

Your very welcome

Customer :

Great. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

danny :

ok see ya then

Thanks

danny
danny
danny, Mechanic