Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

in just put a new transmission in to my land rover disc 2

and it will not move...
in just put a new transmission in to my land rover disc 2 and it will not move still
10/1/2010
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Was this a salvage transmission?
Yes from a car that was driving when pulled
Ok was it from the same year and model? Is the engine light on ? Have you checked transmission pressure readings ?
Yes same car year every thing checked to make sure the same tanny number on name plate even filled it with 12 quarts tanny fluid
So there is no engine light on ? Pressure is good?
Yes service engine light on that's it and don't know how to test tge pressure in transmission but we drove it up and pulled it out so I seen the trans working before I installed it in my rover
Ok what's the code stored ?
Change engine oil I looked it up already
Can you let me know the if it was a P0700 code or the code number.
I don't habr the code reader with me any more can I get thr code on the dash by cycleing the key
No you would need the code reader for this. It's very possible there is a connector crossed or not connected causing this was this checked.
I checked all the connections and they are all done right they only go one way any how
Ok well if it does not move it's either an electronic or mechanical issue . Also is the shifter cable connected correctly?Could be in the wrong position.
Checked the wires all and all good
Need to check shifter and gear selector switch and if I had the code we can pinpoint the issue.
Ok I'll get the reader again tomorrow and find out what the code is I have tryed it in h and l range and no change
Ok keep me posted will get to the bottom of this .
Ok so I have never used this site before how do I get ahold of you again with the codes
Just add to the question tomorrow . Even after the accept I will continue to work at no further charge until we get this diagnosed correctly .
Ok got the reader again and hear are tge two codes po722 and p0734
P0722 is refering to an output speed sensor circuit or sensor failure
P0734 is for the input speed sensor check the wiring to these sensors or swap these sensors over from the other transmission this is the issue they can be damaged from the install . These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Ok I switched the wires around and tge codes are clear and the light is off on the dash but the car still will not move
Ok did you make sure the fluid level is correct and there is pressure internal in the transmission .
The fluid is full 11 quarts new fluid
So how do I check the pressure on the transmission
You would need to use a special transmission gauge that hooks up to the test port on the transmission . Either the dealer or transmission shop will have that tool . Since we got the light out I would drain and fill the transmission and make sure it's at the correct level and disconnect the battery to see if it resets .If not it's an internal issue . These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Ok already drained an refilled it so I'll do the battery disconnect now
It's weired because I can hear the idol change when I shift it into gear and out of gear so I know its putting a load on the motor
Ok let me know if it resets.
How long do I leave it the battery disconnected
I would leave it disconnected for at least a half hour.
I left it for a hour and it did not change any thing an I checked the linkage and it's moveing the lever on the transmission
Ok then this has to be an internal issue . If the engine light is still off then it's an internal issue or possibly ECM related .
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician