Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1999 Chrysler Sebring: car didnt..always start..going down..the road

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Chrysler...
I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring LXI. Over the past several months, my car didn't always start the first time, and it took 3 or 4 or 5 times for it to start. This morning, it took 3 times to start, and after I got going down the road, it completely shut down. There was no sputtering like it wasn't getting gas. It's like the electronics just lost connectivity. I got it started back, and was able to get back home. Since I've been back home, it's only started one time. Any idea what the issue might be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
9/14/2010
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 7 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

This model had problems with the distributor, lots and lots of problems. So much that if I was called and told one was inbound on a wrecker to my shop that wouldn't run, I would order a distributor. One of the reasons there were so many problems with the distributor is the coil, ignition module, cam sensor, and all the other normal distributor parts are contained within the distributor. There were also some design defects. The symptoms you have are a dead wringer for a bad distributor, check for spark when it wont start. If there is no spark or it is intermittent or weak, then the distributor is very likely bad. Ebay seems the best place to get these. There have been several dealers selling new ones with a lifetime warranty, for LOW prices compared to auto parts stores.

The next most highest failure item is the crank sensor. To get to it remove your battery and battery box. The sensor is located on the top center of the bell housing. Pull it out, if it has been hit by the flywheel it is suspect. You can test it with an LED to see if it is pulsing when the engine is cranked. If the end has been hot then it needs to be replaced. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer