Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1985 Honda Accord: the air mixture adjustment on a carburator

Where is the location for...
Where is the location for the air mixture adjustment on a carburator on a 1985 Honda Accord. Is there a plus to be removed? The engine is 112. cubic inch
9/5/2010
david
david, Auto Service Technician
Chat Conversation Started
david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

Adjusting air / fuel mixture

david :

ADJUSTMENT

NOTE: A Keihin 2-barrel carburetor is used on these models.

1. Place the vehicle in the Park or Neutral. Apply the emergency brake and block the drive wheels. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. The cooling fan(s) should come on at least once.

2. Remove the vacuum hose from the intake air control diaphragm and clamp or plug the hose end.

david :

1. Connect a suitable tachometer to the engine following the manufacturers instructions.

2. Check the idle speed with all the accessories turned OFF. If necessary, adjust the idle speed by turning the throttle stop screw.

3. Disconnect the air cleaner intake tube from the air duct on the radiator bulkhead.

4. Insert the hose from the propane kit into the intake tube approximately 4 inches (10 cm).

david :

CAUTION
Propane is a flammable gas. Observe "no smoking/no open flame'' precautions. Have a Class B-C (dry powder) fire extinguisher within arm's reach at all times.

david :

1. With the engine idling, depress the lock button on top of the propane device, then slowly open the propane control valve to obtain the maximum engine speed. The engine speed should increase as the percentage of propane injected goes up.

david :

NOTE: Open the propane control valve slowly; a sudden burst of propane may cause the engine to stall.

david :

1. The engine idle speed should increase as follows:

• 1984–85 Accord w/MT — 75–125 rpm

• 1984–85 Accord w/AT — 30–70 rpm

• 1986 Accord w/MT — 15–55 rpm

• 1987–89 Accord w/MT — 30–70 rpm

2. If the engine speed increases according to specifications, remove the propane kit, all test equipment and reconnect all disconnected vacuum hoses. If the engine speed fails to increase as specified, continue with the following steps. Switch the ignition OFF.

3. Disconnect the vacuum hose to the fast idle unloader. Pull the throttle cable out of the bracket.

4. Remove the carburetor nuts, washers and bolts securing the steel tubing vacuum manifold. Lift the carburetor clear of the studs, then tilt it backward to obtain the access to the throttle controller bracket screws.

5. Remove the throttle controller bracket. Remove the mixture adjusting screw hole cap from the throttle controller bracket, then reinstall the bracket. With the plug removed, the adjusting screw can now be reached from the outside of the carburetor body with the carburetor in place.

david :

1. Reinstall the carburetor, reconnect the vacuum hose to the fast idle unloader. Reinstall the air cleaner.

2. Start the engine and let it warm up again to normal operating temperature.

3. Remove the vacuum hose from the intake air control diaphragm and clamp or plug the hose end. Reinstall the propane enrichment kit and recheck the maximum propane enrichment rpm.

4. If the propane enriched speed is too low, the mixture is rich. Turn the mixture screw a 14 turn clockwise and recheck.

5. If the propane enriched speed is too high, the mixture is lean. Turn the mixture screw a 14 turn counterclockwise and recheck.

6. Close the propane control valve and recheck the idle speed. Be sure to run the engine at 2500 rpm for 10 seconds to stabilize the idle condition.

7. If the engine speed is set to specifications, remove the propane enrichment kit, all test equipment and reconnect all vacuum hoses and the air cleaner intake tube.

8. If the engine speed is not set to specifications, adjust by turning the throttle stop screw. Now repeat the propane enriched speed checks. Once again, check the idle speed and adjust if necessary, by turning the idle control screw.

9. If equipped with air conditioning, make a second check with the air conditioning engaged. Adjust the speed if necessary by turning the adjusting screw on the idle boost diaphragm

david :

NOTE: Some 1984 Accord models may develop a stalling problem at idle. The probable cause of this stalling is a sticking slow mixture cut-off solenoid. If this is the case, the solenoid should be removed and replaced with the updated type of solenoid. Additionally, various cold starting and driveability problems on these cars were cured through the addition of assorted "cold-start'' kits from Honda. Consult your dealer's service department for details.

david :

Remove the screw securing the throttle control bracket

Full Size Image

david :

The hole cap can be removed after the bracket is removed

Full Size Image

david :

Removing the screw securing the throttle control bracket

Full Size Image

david :

david :

With the air conditioning operating, adjust the idle at screw B

Full Size Image

david :

idle speed adjusting

david :

Idle Speed

On carbureted engines, the idle should be checked with the engine at normal operating temperature and the fast idle system fully disengaged. Connect a tachometer to the vehicle following the manufacturers instructions.

Adjustments are made at the throttle stop screw on the carburetor. This is a mechanical adjustment which simply opens or closes the throttle plate a small amount, thus altering the idle speed. On Accords, the throttle stop has a knurled plastic knob to make adjustment easier. The knob, however, is located on the firewall side of the carburetor and may be difficult to reach. The spring on the adjuster also makes the knob a bit stiff to turn.

david :

Accord throttle adjusting screw

Full Size Image

david :

NOTE: on Accords, be very certain that you have found the proper screw before making adjustments. Any linkage screw sealed with a dot of paint (usually yellow) is NOT to be altered. These are factory set and, in some cases, are not resettable in the field.

david :

I would also check for vacuum leaks, Also dirty carburetor jets

david :

Let me know

Hope this helps
Good luck

Customer:

David, Thank you. You have been very spacific with your instructions. Can you tell me what you think the reason might be for that car to be stalling when it idlles.

Customer:

There was water in the fuel filter, and water to the gas tank.

Customer:

Would it help if I took the plug out of the carborator and shot some gum out of that hole. (rinsed it out)?

david
david, Auto Service Technician
david
david
david, Auto Service Technician