Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1994 cutlass supreme sl: hood release is broken and I

I have a 1994 cutlass...
I have a 1994 cutlass supreme sl, hood release is broken and I can't open the hood at all! Any ideas of where to start?
9/4/2010
Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician

My name is Dale.

Is it broken at the hood latch or do you think it could be the cable handle end that come off the cable in the car?

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- If you are not able to get access to the cable and you think it is in the hood release mechanism under the hood at the front, then you will have to remove the grille to gain access to the hood release mechanism.

Here is the procedure (with pictures) to remove and replace the grille on you Cutlass Supreme:

Removal & Installation

Grille-Lumina

Grille-Lumina

Click to Enlarge
Grille-Cutlass Supreme

Grille-Cutlass Supreme

Click to Enlarge
Grille-Grand Prix

Grille-Grand Prix

Click to Enlarge
Grille-Regal

Grille-Regal

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the grille retaining screws at the fascia.

3. Remove the grille assembly from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position the grille into the front fascia and install the retaining screws.

2. Connect the negative battery cable.

the cable is not attached to the handle inside the car at the drivers seat.

Could you possibly drop the cable handle down where you can get to it and use a pair of sharp nosed vice grips to pull the cable?

Dale

I've tried that and nothing happens. The release cable is not attached to the hood latch. Without the release cable being attached to the hood latch is there a way of opening the hood to gain access to the battery, oil, etc?

Well, you can try raising the front of the vehicle up and going up in there with a very long screwdriver or something of that sort. But short of being able to get it released that way, you will have to pull the grille to gain access.

Sorry for the BAD news.

Sincerely,

Dale

Where would the cable run thru under the car?

It really does not run under the car. It goes straight through the firewall to the left of the drivers feet. If you drop the handle assembly down that the cable is attached to you will see that it goes stright through a rubber grommet in the firewall and then on up to the hood latch.

Dale

I was able to get the hood opened the way you described. THANKS! Now,Where do I find instructions on how to replace the cable completely and is this something a "novice" can actually do? I don"t have $300 to have a mechanic do it. Thanks for your help so far!

Thank you for the information,

You will have to remove the grille. You can do it if you have some basic mechanical skills and the time to do it. I gave you the instructions and pictures of how to do it (ABOVE) !

Sincerely,

Dale

Thanks Dale, you have been most helpful! I think I can do this myself...should I attach a wire to the cable coming out so I have it to guide the new cable in & thru the firwall?

NOTE: WHEN REMVONG THE GRILLE BE EXTRA CARFULE WITH THE PIECES- MANY ARE PLASTIC AND WILL BREAK-KEEP TRACK OF WHERE WHICH SCREWS AND BOLTS GO- & BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IT IS EASY TO GET CUT UP A BIT WHEN PLAYING WITH THE SHEET METAL !

Once you get the hood open IT WILL BECOME OBVIOUS WHERE THE CABLE GOES THROUGH THE FIREWAL! You can hook the old to the new if you want to but it probably will not be needed.

Sincerely,

Dale

Dale Stockstill
Thanks Dale!!!!

Thank You for the payment. I will be here on and off today. So if you need help just let me know.

Have a SAFE & FUN Holiday.

Dale

Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill