Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Squealing..manual transmission..I release the clutch..fluid levels…

Suddenly heard a squealing/screeching noise...
Suddenly heard a squealing/screeching noise when I put my manual transmission car into gear. Seems to be when I release the clutch or just thereafter then it's o.k. All fluid levels are good. This morning I noticed I'd left the hand brake on for a bit before I noticed it, but it wasn't for long. Very anxious because 1) I'm going on a trip tomorrow - not too long but for about 10 miles it's bit upward; 2) it's my friend's car on loan. (Huge gulp.) Would be hugely grateful to get suggestions about what's wrong, whether it's safe to drive, and what to do. [I NEED A RESPONSE RIGHT VERY SOON, BUT THIS PAGE DOESN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO... WAIT?]
9/4/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Sounds like a clutch and pressure plate issue no noise in neutral clutch not engaged correct ?
correct. BUT although this afternoon I noticed no noise till I released the clutch, this evening when I came down this internet cafe to use the internent, it made a bit of noise when I turned on the car (with the clutch pedal in). Driving down here I listened careful & it seemed to be silent when I had the pedal in and screeched when I let it out, but then it was o.k. mostly (this cafe is close to the house where I'm staying)
Ok no need to be to worried sounds like a loose alternator or power steering belt. If the car is shifting fine the that's the most common issue . If it was a clutch or pressure plate issue it would not shift correctly and smell bad when making that noise . So have the belts checked and tensioners next .This is the next step.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
but I don't think that a loose alternator or power steering belt sound (which I'm familiar with) would occur so suddenly and loudly with no advance minor noise - and why would it occur particular when I released the clutch?
Ok if it only happens when releasing the clutch could be the pressure plate not holding the clutch disc in place causing that noise . Need to have it up in the air with a tech inside trying to duplicate the noise and one under listening to see what's the cause . If it only happens with the clutch pedal it's transmission related either internal or the clutch disc and pressure plate are worn. Just so you know not your fault it was going to happen either way. I would have these checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
but it's hard to imagine that that would that happen so immediately with no prior indication. Are you saying that such a problem would happened immedately and that there's no connection to using the hand brake? Someone said that driving with the hand brake on even briefly could damage the transmission and make it unsafe but I don't know if that's true. Are you saying that you think the problem does not involve the gears themselves?
The noise is from the front correct?
yes, - it's a front wheel drive car
So then yes it's most likely a failing clutch. A clutch is like brake pad material it wears as time goes on. When the material is low it gets to metal and then can spin against the flywheel casing this noise. Doubtful it's the gears so don't worry there. It most likely needs a clutch pressure plate and bearing and would have happen to your friend at this time also so don't think you did anything wrong .This needs to be checked next. These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
I realize that you can't know without seeing the car, but given that the gears are shifting without apparently problem - other than the noise - is the car safe to drive? Better question: if it were your car - would you drive it if you had to meet an appointment? I'm solidly guessing that you are handling a number of responses at once. I need to leave very soon since the Internet Cafe is closing ... would be grateful if you could answer this quite quickly.
Yes it should be absolutely safe to drive . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician