Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2005 mazda 3: power steering..can this be fixed without replacing pump

Customer Question
have 2005 mazda 3i power...
have 2005 mazda 3i power steering keeps quitting if I move wire on pump sometimes will work can this be fixed without replacing pump?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Which wire are you moving?
the one closest to tire
At the pressure switch correct ?
it's on pump with 3 sets of conectors car was bumped and windshield fuild resovior bumped and broke connector bracket
Ok then all you need to do is repair the wire harness or the connector or pins in the connector the pump is fine it's an electrical issue.
connector not broke plate 3 connectors go to broke but as far as I can see wires still connected tried to silicone bracket in place
Ok I bet that one of the connectors is damaged unless it's damaged on the pump itself then the pump would need to be replaced.
what does outer connector do
Supply power for the steering to work . Your sure there are no damaged pins or pulled out pins in the connector?
I would have to check like I said wiggle wire and sometimes it works. I thought the thicker wires were for power. Is there some place I could see a drawing
If wiggling the wire makes it work then there is a loose connection either a pin or pulled out wire causing this issue. The pump is fine. I don't have a wiring diagram for this .
Are pumps repairable
Yes the can be repaired .
I found drawings it seems that EHPAS Control Module and Motor can be seperated and I might be able to fix motor is this posable
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Speedytimzalez/2010-04-08_122619_092420.pdf

Yes it can be separated but it is one piece you can separate as per the bulletin and see if the issues is internal if not and there is no issue with the actual connectors or wiring you can get that piece from a salvage yard for about 150 dollars .These are the next steps .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.

Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician