danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

98 Rodeo: start my..spark plug..disconnect..crankshaft sensor

Customer Question

When I try to start my 98 Rodeo for the first time, I get a spark out of the spark plug and then it will not spark anymore or until I disconnect the battery and then it will spark one more time then stop sparking. I changed the crankshaft sensor and that is it. Could it be the camshaft sensor that is bad. From what I can tell, the computer tries to start the SUV first crank and then it detects a problem and stops firing the spark plugs. I do not know what to do from here, it does not have any codes stored in the computer. What do you think it could be.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
danny :

hello

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Hi

danny :

do you have any codes?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

No

danny :

thats odd with a no spark condition that wil make it ruff on us

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Tell me about it. It has been a nightmare so far

danny :

usually its fuel related when no codes. will it stay running

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

It will not start

danny :

but its firing at the beginning but not catching to run?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

If it sparks one time when you first try to start it and then stops sparking, could the computer try to strat it the first crank and then stop the spark plugs if it detects the sensor is out?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Yes, just one spark one the first crank and it stops. The only reason I know this is because i have the plugs out and I can see the first spark

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

It does not spark more than one first time cranking, so it does not start for me

danny :

will when a sensor misses it gets everything out of sink. timing and other things.the pcm will not be able to communicate right with fuel and air delivery. and the rest of the electrical componants

danny :

can you try some starting fluid in there and see what it does?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Yes I can, but if it only sparks 1 time, do you think it will be enough to fire it up?

danny :

it may be sparking one time each cylinder til it gets back to that spartk plug

danny :

listen to fuel pu

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I also ran a wire to the fuel pump and make it start running as soon as I try to start it. Is that a bad Idea? or is it ok? and does it answer your question on if starting fluid will work?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

It does spark 1 time per cylender, cause I pulled everyone and lokked at them

danny :

leave off the wire. if pump isnt working then the fuel pump is bad or a bad fuel pump relay.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

And after each 1 fires, it stops the firing order.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I replaced the relay, but if the pump is bad, then would it not work at all, even if I give it power?

danny :

if your fuel pump don

danny :

run it c

danny :

n effect your spark

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

OK

danny :

you dont have to turn rodeo on before you here the fuel pump just turn the key to on and listen.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I know that everytime you turn the key on, that your fuel pump comes on for just a few seconds then shuts off. I know this one does not do that unless I put power to it.

danny :

then thats bad shoot some staring fluid in there up the breather

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Does this model have a fuel pressure sensor? and could it be bad?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

OK, I can go do it now. It will only take me a minute or 2. Do you wait for me to try, or do I just log back on after I am done?

danny :

click here for a no start trouble shooting by the books. No fuel pressure sensor only a regulator.

danny :

no problem i am here

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

thank you

danny :

No Problem

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

It did not start.

danny :

ok sad

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Sorry it took so long, but I had to disconnect the battery long enough to reset the computer and let it spark again. After it sparks once, it will not spark again until it has been reset. And I did it 3 diferent times to make sure it had starting fluid in the cylinders for sure. So I had to reset the computer 3 times

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I got this for a auction, and I noticed that the security light was flashing while I was cranking it over.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

It stops flashing as soon as I put the key in and turn it on, but start flashing while cranking it over.

danny :

the testing above will help i would test maf sensor also and crank sensor. this is assuming you have checked the ignition coil and componants.

danny :

really

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I cant type, so I have to look down at the keyboard as I type, so most of the time I dont see what you typed until I am done, so my answers are slow to reply because of this. Sorry for the inconvienience.

danny :

no biggiree

danny :

biggie

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I put in a new crank sensor already

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

The parts store said to replace the cam sensor next. Does that sound right?

danny :

I thought you said cam sensor

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Sorry if I did, I get them mixed up when I ask for them or type them in a search engine

danny :

oh i see then check the cam sensor then. let me check on a security reset for you

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Can you replace the cam sensor without removing the intake manifold?

danny :

no i misread you are right but yes its next but let me see if I can find the security reset

danny :

brb

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

How do I check the cam sensor? or did you mean replace the cam sensor?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Thank you

danny :

BRB

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

OK

danny :

ok having trouble finding it. i will get it for you in the mroning ok. it will be around 930

danny :

morning

danny :

I will request info from my site.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Finding what? The cam sensor?

danny :

then we can try cam sensor and other and start with testing i gave you.

danny :

the security reset

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Can the cam sensor be removed without taking off the intake manifold?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Oh, Okay

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

How can you get ahold of me in the morning? You dont have my email or anything? Do I give it to you

danny :

you have entered your email address with ja right

danny :

they will contact you when I post it to your question

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

NO, It never asked, it just asked for money

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I didnt even have to register

danny :

hummm

danny :

did you make a name and pass word? http://www.justanswer.com/profile.asp?PF=50451522

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

I can leave my computer on this site all night. and stay logged in. It is on 24/7 anyways. Will that help?

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

NO

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

No name and no password, it just wanted my money.... lol

danny :

sure just dont reply back or I will want to view your page. see you in the morning.

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

Thank you Danny. By the way, My name is Greg

JACUSTOMER-rofad3a0- :

See you in the morning

danny :

good to meet you greg we will tackle it in the morning

danny :

Ok the the tail gate. security is reset when you use the key in the ignition also when you use the the key to lock and unlock the tailgate. click here for more info. it has a starter switch that may show fualty but. if you do the tail gate and it doesnt work lets try the cam sensor and I will get r and r for that . but since thats a bear to get to lets try and ignition coil first. thats where we should start anyway.

Expert:  danny replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Dan