Mr. Moose
Mr. Moose, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of General Car Repair Experience, Associates Degree in Automotive Systems Technology
18363427

94 F 150: ON SCANNER THROUGH A code tpos OUT..I HAVE A HIGH idle

Customer Question

i have 94 F 150 PUT ON SCANNER THROUGH A CODE TPOS OUT OF RANGE CHANGE TPOS AND NOW I HAVE A HIGH IDLE
Category: Car
Expert:  Mr. Moose replied 6 years ago.

What size motor does the vehicle have? Automatic or Standard Trans? Also 4 or 2WD?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 WD
5.0 ENGINE
AUTOMATIC TRANS
Expert:  Mr. Moose replied 6 years ago.
Have you driven the vehicle for, say 10 miles or so after installing the tps? I only ask because they PCM needs to go through a relearn procedure. It's also possible to install the Sensor backwards. when you slide the rotary tangs onto the throttle shaft blade, you should rotate the sensor CLOCKWISE into the installed position (i.e. to align the holes for the screws) If you have to rotate it counter-clockwise, the tps is out of calibration and will cause an excessive Idle condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HERE MORE INFO
I HAD TO TAKE OFF THE THROTTLE BODY TO GET TO THE SENSOR BUT CAN REUSE THE SENSOR IF TAKEN BACK OFF AND CLOCKED
Expert:  Mr. Moose replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the sensor can be reused. Basically, having the sensor incorrectly clocked has the TPS out of calibration. It shows the PCM that the throttle is tipped open when it is in fact closed, causing the motor to be idled up higher.