Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Oldsmobile Bravada: AWD..new fuel tank and fuel pump..plastic

I have an Oldsmobile Bravada...
I have an Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 1998 needing a new fuel tank and fuel pump. The original tank is plastic. All that I can locate is steel tanks as a replacement. Although the tanks look comparable with some minor differences, apparently the fuel pump varies from plastic to steel tanks as well. So my question is.......would a steel tank with the applicable steel tank fuel pump be compatible with the management system of the vehicle? ECM, etc?
8/29/2010
hauto
hauto, Technician
the only thing that would matter is the fuel pump connector, id the connector on the new pump plugs into the vehicle harness then your good to go.
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

You requested me earlier and I was out. I have a differing opinion from the expert that answered you so I will try to help you. The answer to your question is yes the steel tank with the different pump is a direct replacement and all the engine management system, connectors, and power supply for the fuel pump will retrofit directly. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is it is a bolt in replacement that works well. I have installed many such systems, and it should be an easy trouble free install. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Thanks for working with me again. I appreciate your help. So it looks like I need a replacement "lock ring" to secure the replacement fuel pump onto/into the steel tank and also the steel tank did not come with a fuel tank vent valve so I will need a new one. Ok, I will accept your answer if you on the same page with me on those items as well.

Thanks again,

John, yes you have it. Also I would get with the tank manufacturer for anything you need for the replacement. They should have any pieces you need if you have difficulty finding the hardware you need locally. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer