Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2004 olds bravada: speedometer..abs light..light keeps coming

I have a 2004 Oles Bravada. The speedometer quits working off and on and the ABS light and seatbelt light keeps coming on and staying on and then sometimes doesn't. I had it put on a computer and no codes came up. Do you think it could be in the instrument panel or what do you think?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Pete :

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.Did all of this start happeining at one time?Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Pete :

Do any other gauges act up or just the speedometer?

Customer :

No, the lights coming on started first and then the speedometer quit working off and on.

Customer :

Once in a while the battery light will come on also.

Customer :

I have put a new battery in.

Pete :

o.k.,since you have no fault codes in the computers most likely this is an internal electrical fault within the instrument cluster causing all of these,I have had to replace some of these clusters before to correct issues like this especially with the speedometer concern.I know there is an updated instrument cluster for these vehicles for the stepper motors(the little motors that drive the gauges) for making noises and sticking,but since you have no fault codes most likely the failure lies within the instrument clsuter itself,usually these clusters cost around $350 and can take an hour to an hour and a half to install and program,this usually has to be done by a dealer as their computer is needed for programming.You can also have the dealer send it in for repair at their repair facility but it is usually the same cost for repair as it is for replacement.

Pete :

I hope this information has helped,if you need anything else let me know,If I have assisted and you feel satisfied please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.Thanks Pete.