Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

2006 Ford: The wrench warning symbol..throttle control..illuminated

Customer Question

My dad has a 2006 Ford Freestyle SE. The wrench warning symbol comes on and it says to check the throttle control/transmission. This symbol has illuminated 5 times in 5 weeks. If he stops driving, parks, turns the engine off, the symbol will go off. It stays off for sometimes before it illuminates again. There is no consistent pattern. He took it to the Ford dealership, but they cannot determine the problem because they need the symbol to be on for testing. It seems that the symbol only comes on when he's miles from a Ford dealership . The dealer cannot get the light to go on, even when they drive it for awhile. He is afraid to keep the car for fear something will go wrong with the transmission while he's driving away from home. He's 83 and really needs help with this. Any suggestions would be so welcomed! Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TIM MOHR :

hi, my name is Tim

TIM MOHR :

does the car have any power problems when the light is on?

JACUSTOMER-csfrlau3- :

Yes, it has less power. He was told by the Ford dealership that the light is a safety feature to protect the transmission and when the light is on, it cannot go up to full speed.

TIM MOHR :

It is not to protect the transmission, its to protect the engine, you will need to scan the computer for codes, if the light was on, then it stores a code, we need the code to diagnose this, but some of the most common problems are a dirty throttle bore or a bad throttle body, but the codes will be neccessary to properly diagnose this, Autozone and most other parts houses will pull the codes for free, can you have this done?

JACUSTOMER-csfrlau3- :

Yes, he can take it to Autozone. However, he says the last time he took it to the dealership they ran it on the analyzer and said no codes were stored and the light has not come on again since then. That was probably 4-6 weeks ago.

TIM MOHR :

these have a problem also with the airbox not sealing, either from a bad seated airfilter, or the lid on it not sealing, has he had the airfilter checked or changed recently?

JACUSTOMER-csfrlau3- :

He has changed the filter several times, but he'll check to make sure it's all tight. Regarding the codes again, will Autozone be able to detect a code that the dealership could not? I don't want to send him to do that if it won't be productive. Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-csfrlau3- :

I have to leave for several hours, but I'll be back later. Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-csfrlau3- :

Are you there Tim?