Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 98 mitsu eclipse GS-T. Just bought it from a friend.

Customer Question

I have a 98 mitsu eclipse GS-T. Just bought it from a friend. I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden the RPM's started going in reverse i.e. when I accelerate the RPM's would decrease to 0. The odometer also fluctuated between random numbers and Oil gauge also fluctuated. Shortly after trying to drive it to a shop when this happened, the SRS light came on followed by the check engine light. Then the car just shut down. A couple of things leading up to this tragic event: There has been a slight draw on the battery...radio would stay on even when cars off (maybe crossed remote and power wire, haven't gotten a chance to check it out). Also, turbo timer has not been working since I bought the car. It does a 30 second countdown, but car shuts off with the key instead of being timed like it should. Also, the car shakes the steering collumn and inside of car considerabely when idling…I’m guessing from the aftermarket motor mounts. I read somewhere that a bad clockspring in steering collumn could contribute to the SRS light coming on. Could this shake be shaking the clockspring loose? In the days before, the belt has also been squeaking when turning (don't know if this has anything to do with problem, but needs to be replaced.) It sounds like this car has an electrical problem but not sure what it may be. Should I just take the turbo timer out? Sorry for the long winded question. Please help...daily driver right now til winter. It’s parked a reliable shop, but I want to make sure I’m not gonna get bent over with the price. Need it to be somewhat dependable. I know a lot about eclipses, but have no clue about electrical…Thank you in advance!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! Based on the description, the alternator has stopped working and the car was running off the battery. When this happens the electronics go nuts because they are getting all types of voltages. The belt noise was probably due to the alternator possibly swizing up. I suspect once the battery is recharged and the alternator repaired, you will have resolved most of the issues.

Customer:

A new alternator was put in early this summer. From my understanding its an aftermarket part.

Customer:

Could this issue be caused by any bad wire grounds at all?

Customer:

Also, battery is brand new as well. A week old..

carguy1 :

I understand the new battery, I don't suspect it is a ground issue,and I don't trust aftermarket alternators.

carguy1 :

I will say that it is possible the a/c compressor is causing the belt squeal and it is possible the alternator is not able to charge

carguy1 :

If the car was running off the battery, it will run it down. Even if it is only a week old

carguy1 :

I can't give you an honest answer about the turbo timer,but if it isn't working, you should eliminate it. This way if it is part of the problem it will be gone

carguy1 :

I think the shop is going to come back to you with a charging system issue.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agree....aftermarket alternator was not a smart move for whoever put it in. Also, the power locks are not working. This may a separate issue. I would like ot put an alarm on the car but need the power locks to work. Is this a simple fix? The lock cylinders are also pushed into the doors (driver and passenger sides).
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Well, the switches all have wiring for the power locks. This could be why it doesn't work. You should remove the door panels and see why the locks are pushed in. It might have shorted the fuse and could be a simple fuse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok thank you for all your help. How does this website work? I just paid $33. Is that a months worth of answers? Can I specifically ask for you? Did I pay for a one-time deal?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
WEll, actually nothing is paid until you click accept.
I am not sure about it being a month or one time deal because I work on this side. You can contact customer service HERE is the link
If you put carguy1 in the question, I will find you :)