Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

How does the cables go onto the window on the front passenger?_

Customer Question
how does the cables go onto the window on the front passenger?_
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2010
Auto Mechanic: david, Auto Service Technician replied 7 years ago
david
david, Auto Service Technician
Chat Conversation Started
david :

Hi thank you for your question I can help.

david :

Can you tell me what repairs you are trying to do?

Customer:

Hi david, My fiance has a car that her dad bought in an auction and none of the windows work, so i pulled off the driver side panel and fount the power plug unplugged. now two of the windows dont work, I havent got to that part yet, however the front passenger does work but the cables are off, there is one short cable and one long cable.

david :

OK I see can you tell me the year make and model of the car

Customer:

2000 oldsmobile intrigue

Customer:

4 door

david :

OK so the drivers window works the front passenger window works.

david :

The two back windows do not work.

david :

Is this right?

Customer:

yes but the long cable is off, and it seems it might be too long or I am not aligning it up right

Customer:

the front driver window doesnt(its missing all the guts) the rear driver window works but it is out of track as well.

Customer:

the passenger front works but the rear passenger doesnt

david :

ok give me 1 min

Customer:

and I am working on the passnger front window right now.

Customer:

ok brb

david :

OK some one will be right with you

Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 7 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello!

New Expert here!

If the motor works for on both rear windows but the window is not moving up and down, the problem is most likely a bad window regulator. You are just going to have to replace both regulators. ONce the cable comes off, it is really hard to get back on and have it stay back on. It will usually keep falling out or off track and then you will just be pulling the door panel back off.

o.k. the rear driver side window works, but off track, the rear passenger doesnt work. but right now i am concentrating on the front passenger cause i have to get it back up, and i dont want to rig it. i want to do it right.

Hello!

I can help you diagnose and fix this problem right.

Is it just off track or does the window motor not even move?

ok the motor seems to be working, the window is on the track and everything, but the are two cables, one long one that seems to go to the bottom of the window, and a cable thats seems to be short, only the short cable seems to be moving when i press up and down on the window button.
Right.. thats because your regulator is bad. The cable fell out of place and is not not doing its job. THe window regulator will need to be replaced.
is that the motor?
No... the complete window regulator is everything else but the motor. The whole 9 yards. The window motor bolts to the regulator. You will have to remove the window regulator from the door and un bolt the motor and move it to the new window regulator... unless you want to purchase a new window motor.

ok, is there anything that I can do to make the regulator work, properly? cause i dont have the money to buy a new one unless they are really cheap?

NOt really... We don't fix regulators... we just replace them when they go bad. THat is how most places do it.

SOmetimes the window motor and regulator are all one piece and are serviced together. You will find out once you get the entire assembly out.

i see. well how much do they normally cost, just say a rough ball park figure?
Just the part or parts and labor?
just the part?

Any where from 100 to 200 bucks.. maybe even less. It will depend on where you get the part from. You will just have to call around.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Hello!

Did you have any further questions?

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech