Car

Olds alero: trouble starting..turn key..no dash lights..dead battery…

trouble starting 02 olds alero...
trouble starting 02 olds alero, turn key and nothing, no dash lights, no radio, no turning over... thought dead battery, tried jumping, left live car connected for over 15 minutes, got dash lights and radio, got 3 or 4 clicks (from starter?) then nothing, after disconnecting live car i am back to no dash lights, no radio, no clicking from starter... Read full answer
trouble starting 02 olds alero, turn key and nothing, no dash lights, no radio, no turning over... thought dead battery, tried jumping, left live car connected for over 15 minutes, got dash lights and radio, got 3 or 4 clicks (from starter?) then nothing, after disconnecting live car i am back to no dash lights, no radio, no clicking from starter
8/6/2010
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic

It sounds like the battery has a shorted cell and wont take a charge. This is common. When this happens, it wont even take a jump start. You will need to replace the battery. If you have further questions feel free to reply.

is this a problem that would happen slowly, would there be warning signs? or would it happen overnight.... the car was driven yesterday with no problems before that

No, it can come on all at once with no warning. Most likely one of the plates in a cell has moved and is touching another plate.

Thanks for asking!

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
The car will not crank or start. The only dash light that
The car will not crank or start. The only dash light that show are the battery and the security light. We just replaced the ac and i know one of the fuses shorted. … read more
Jake
Jake
95 classic: car sit..that, it ran fine - just guzzled gas..emissions
My question is - I have a 95 classic. I let the car sit for 6 months. Prior to that, it ran fine - just guzzled gas and had difficulty passing emissions. I tried to crank it recently and it began to c… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
2008 Jeep grand Cherokee: errands..clicking noise..the steering wheel
I have a 2008 Jeep grand Cherokee that has over the last 3 days had starting issues. Saturday AM while running errands, I came back to the car, turned the key, the dash lit up, the radio came on but n… read more
SHOP OWNER,
Stop searching for answers—
2003 oldsmobile alero: wont start..a dead battery, but it..dashboard
i have a 2003 oldsmobile alero and periodically it won't start, nothing works, it acts like a dead battery, but it isn't dead. Just before it happens there is a clicking sound coming from behind the d… read more
Joe
Joe
Owner Kingsland Auto & Marine Services,
2002 olds alero: It was starting fine until this morning
2002 olds alero. Battery has charge but it does nothing when you turn the key. It was starting fine until this morning.… read more
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp
The car untill the motor is throughly warmed..restart..horn
1999 Kea Spheria.............After driving the car untill the motor is throughly warmed and then turn the ignition off the car will not restart. The battery,starter,and aultnator tested good. The ligh… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2001 Olds alero: acc..car turns..two seconds then shuts..gas peddle
I have a 2001 Olds alero. Dashlights do not come on when I turn the key to acc or On. the car turns over starts for two seconds then shuts off. if i press gas peddle while doing it. it revs up then di… read more
Chris Knight
Chris Knight
Service Manager/Lead Technician,
92 cadillac: wont turn over it makes the clicking sound..engage..whats
I have a 92 cadillac sedan deville and i replaced the starter and it still wont turn over it makes the clicking sound like its trying to engage but it wont turn over i've also cleaned all the grounds … read more
Rcmslm
Rcmslm
owner of small engine shop,
We opened my convertibles top; the radio was playing, but I
We were just about to go to the store to return something. We opened my convertible's top; the radio was playing, but I hadn't yet turned on the ignition. When I turned the key, the power died. We tho… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Owner,
1999 Pontiac Grand AM: it in a heated garage..dash board..cylinder
My car just died when I was going over water, that I left it there for about 30 minutes till I got someone to help me push it out now its been 4 days and nothing, what I did was I left it in a heated … read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
1994 Ford Tempo: cylinder..gas regulator..stalling..car started
my daughter has a 1994 Ford Tempo automatic 4 cylinder. she recently had a gas regulator replaced on her car for sluggish start and stalling. She left work today, car started fine, she said it was idl… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
2000 Ford Taurus: wo..I turn the key and I get a click, click, click
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES. I just tried to start it and it won''t start. I turn the key and I get a "click, click, click." I know the battery is good because the lights work and the radio works. I… read more
Derrick
Derrick
Stop searching for answers—
dead got a jump start car ran for 1 min..cables car ran..dim..clicking
battery was dead got a jump start car ran for 1 min and then died jumped car again unhooked cables car ran for about 3 min and died again jumped it again kept foot on gas a little bit and was able to … read more
mackin1
mackin1
2003 Alero: I jumped it from the starter and the engine turns..postion
2003 Alero pulled into yard turned the car off. And it will not start. I jumped it from the starter and the engine turns but will not start even with the key in the start postion. Now what?… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
1966 chrysler imperial: car start..start right..selenoid..same problem
i have a 1966 chrysler imperial that is beautiful but having troubles. the car start right up but then after turning off it will not start for 30 minutes. the starter and selenoid switch was replaced … read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Owner,
Alero: drove..wouldnt start..sputtering..I had it jumped & it started
I just bought a used Alero & drove it off the lot just fine. The next day I ran some errands & I got back in the car after it sat for an hour & the battery wouldnt start. No turning over or sputtering… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
2000 Mercury Sable: LS..dash lights..no headlights, horn, nothing)
I have a 2000 Mercury Sable LS 3.0. It starts and drives fine for about 4-5 miles; then when I stop at a traffic light, it completely dies (shuts off, no dash lights, no power at all; turn the key and… read more
Geordie
Geordie
Mobile Mechanic,
Ceritficate of Pre-Vocational Educa
Start car..next time..it was a dead battery, but then i..jumping
recently tried to start car, and it didnt start. It was very similar to having a dead battery, in that the car tried to turn over once, but then kinda when (RRRRRrrrr*click*) and then the next time I … read more
Nick Sparks
Nick Sparks