jan73
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience
1689875

2006 mustang: v6..2 year old battery..my battery..voltage regulator

Customer Question

I own a 2006 mustang v6 with 1 1/2 year old battery and 150k on the odometer.
I'm on a long trip through out Canada.
The water on my battery started to boil over to the point of having no water in it, I put water and went for a drive, it started to boil over again!!

A.-is the voltage regulator overcharging?
b.-was the battery low on water to start with and it got worse as I drive a long?
Category: Car
Expert:  jan73 replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
jan73 :

It is very possible that the alternator is overcharging. Did you check the voltage reading with engine running?

Customer:

nothing yet, today is a holiday in Canada, will overcharging damage the battery or other electrical items in the car

jan73 :

It may damage the battery as well other electronic component if exposed for an extended period of time. Actually, the battery will become hot and explode...

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I'll take it from there

Customer:

Another question.

Customer:

When the battery started acting up, it was in the middle of a heavy rain, would the alternator be affected by water or high humidity?

jan73 :

Normally, the alternator should not be affected by that.