Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 Olds Silhouette: windshield wipers..brake switch..the brake pedal

Customer Question
Hi George, The brake lights on...
Hi George,
The brake lights on my 2001 Olds Silhouette do not illuminate when I brake. The daytime running lights work, the center brake light works, the turn signals work, the windshield wipers work. I replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal and this did not solve the problem, so I can't pass the state inspection. At the state inspection garage, they told me that the multi-function switch is causing the problem..but based on what I have read, I am not sure this is correct. Plus they quoted me $543 to fix it...OUCH! What do you think? I can't afford to pay that and hope I can fix it myself. I look forward to your reply.
Thank you,
Sandy M.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2010
Auto Mechanic: pETER, Technician replied 7 years ago
pETER
pETER, Technician
it is the multifunction switch, its very common in gm cars, u can try playing with hazard switch because poor contact in it its a cause of your problem, but its internal part of multifunction switch so u can just replace hazard switch

Hi

I am not understanding what you are saying. Do you mean the hazard switch on the steering wheel that you use to turn on the hazard lights? The hazard lights do work. So is it the multifunction switch or the hazard switch that needs replacing? And I will need information as to where the switch is located. Thanks.

hazard switch its part of multifunction switch (wipers, turn signals,etc) you cant replace it, you have to replace whole assembly, the only thing you can do is to test it just to be sure, go to taillight, take a test light and check if u have power on white wire while you step on brake pedal, do the same thing with white wire on the brake light switch and let me know what u find

There is power on the white wire on the brake light switch. There is NO power on the white wire on the taillight.
ok now look at the body harness, left rear of body, near left taillamp, there is a splice there with 5 withe wires, check if its ok, if u got power there, if not its the multifunction switch,
I can't find anything near the left taillamp with 5 white wires.....and I don't know what the body harness looks like.

i dont have any image of that, but 99% its the multifunction switch, wire from the stop light switch goes directly to 3 brake light and to the multifunction switch, your stop light are also turn signals,

So, where is the multifunction switch located? Did you read above that the middle brake light works? (don't know if that matters)

graphicunder the steering wheel, its turn signal, hazard light and wiper switch thats why its called multi-function switch,

part nr 26073715(acdelco D627AA) list price 529.58

labor 1.2 H

picture in previous post its from differend gm vehicle, but multifunction switch look similar

I removed the console under the steering wheel. Does the multifunction switch have only a green and white wire? I have no idea what I am looking for. Thanks for the pic, but I don't know what to look for in the pic.

just trace the wires going from the switch, its mote than two

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SWITCH LOOKS LIKE....thus I can't find it....can you give a description of what I need to look for?
GRAB TURN SIGNAL HANDLE ITS PART OF THE SWITCH, u have to remove steering wheel cover to get to it,switch is held in place by two screws,

I have removed the 2 torx screws under the steering wheel....how does this cover come off? is it supposed to split in two?

yes it suppose to split in two parts
OK...it is split...do the top/bottom come off?....if so...how do you get over the lever that adjusts the height of the steering wheel (bottom half)....and how do you get the top half off? I don't understand what you mean by "grab the turn signal handle"....do I pull on it or what? Then where is the part I am looking for?....what does it look like?

turn signal lever its part of the multi function switch !!!!

lever for the tillt - grab it and pull it, its not bolted !

u have to get new multifunction switch, its a whole assembly with turn signal lever and hazard light switch, !!

I understand that I need a new multifunction switch. I am not a mechanic, so I need you to carefully explain step by step how to do things.

I removed the tilt handle and the bottom half of the steering cover came off. Thanks.

I need to know how to remove the top half of the steering cover...I have tried every way I can think of.

If you can just be patient with me, you will be well rewarded at the end of this process.

Thanks.

according to gm service manual you have to take steering wheel off, i just pry it off from under neath steering wheel with a screwdriver,

Relist: Inaccurate answer.

remove airbag

remove steering wheel

the cover will come of easy

u need special puller to take the steering wheel off

pETER
pETER, Technician
Thanks for your help. I don't feel comfortable messing with the airbag, so I am going to get a local professional to do the work...hopefully for less than $545. Thank you for your time in researching and replying to my questions.
pETER
pETER
pETER, Technician