Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Dodge: 250 Van_and began filling the trans..cooler..van..park

i recently put a motor in my dodge B-250 Van_and began filling the trans, with fluid occasionaly running the gear selector through the normal patterns to make sure it was responding !! it was'' i place'd it back on ramps to install a transmission cooler, after doing so! i went to back off of the ramps and the van just wanted to go foward in R/ N/ and all of the foward gears, and when in park the motor is not free spinning , what do you think ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Hamman :

Did the transmission droop down in the front when the engine was changed, if it did the shifter linkage might be bent where it isn't going into the gear it should. It might be a good idea to disconnect the transmission linkage from the transmission and see if the transmission will shift into reverse with the lever on the transmission.

Customer:

I dont think it did 'i did set the rear axels on jack stand s chock the front and got under there and check'ed things out , i saw nothing out of the ordinary, but you could be right i did not disconect the linkage ,but i played with the gears you know! in between and so on

Dr. Hamman :

I would check that out. there isn't much else besides transmission failure that could cause this, and the trans should still be good.

Dr. Hamman :

Customer:

ok we'l do that because what baffeld me was when i first put her on the ground and began putting fluid in her all was going well,, but do you think the converter could have anything to do with it, because even in park the motor luggs instead of free spinns

Customer:

ok man ill check it out and get back with you !! Thanks for your time, im pushing the accept button as we speak .