Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

40 mph..goes away..the tires balanced and the drive shaft rebalanced

I just got a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II. It shudders/vibrates at around 40 mph and then goes away after 45. Had the tires balanced and the drive shaft rebalanced. May be the tires? The transmission fluid was down 3 quarts and adding 3 back in did not help. Also, i hit a pot hole with the rear right tire and that side of the car goes up and down in a random fashion. Maybe the air suspension bag or electric pump is messed up? If the tires are not right (either uneven, cupping, or whatever) will that be related to the vibration (although it was vibrating prior to the pot hole hit). What is the order of actions to take? Thank you.
Chat Conversation Started
Neal :

this issue is almost always the tires. it is very common for the tire to wear unevenly and even though it is balanced it is not truely round anymore. you can try rotating them front to back to see if it changes anything.

Customer:

The tires were rotated at the time of balancing. But, I don't know if the tires have issues or not. If the tires turn out to be good (not cupped etc) what would be the next action?

Neal :

other than the tires a visual inspection would be in order. especially the right rear. but the vibration between 40 and 45 can only be the tires, i see this a lot and it is always the tires. the cheaper the tire the sooner it happens but even higher quality tires do this at high miles.

Customer:

I would think the garage that balanced the tires would have checked the tires, but no guarantee I guess. Why would the transmission fluid be down 3 quarts? Seems like a lot. Also, on the air suspension system, why would the car go up and down on that side of the car? Does the bag have a hole in it? Are there any other reasons for this to happen? Thank you,

Neal :

thr trans fluid issue is one of three things, the previous owners never checked it, you hae a leak or they overfilled it which is more common than you would think. as far as the suspension system you will need to see the dealer for that and they will have to do a diagnostic. the possibilities are many, does it go up and down as you drive?

Neal :

my guess would be a ride height sensor but you need the proper test equipment or you are just guessing.

Customer:

What seems to happen is that the right rear side goes down when the car sits. Then,, we drive it for a while, stop, check in a little while, and it is back to normal. There are two buttons on the dash...maybe try those and see if it helps?

Neal :

it sounds like a leak to me. when you start driving it it is correcting itself. it will not correct itself when it is not running so that it doesn't kill the battery. you will need to see the dealer or a reputable mechanic that works on rovers.

Customer:

Can you advise what it is that would be leaking? What is leaking? Thank you.

Neal :

it could be the air bag or a line.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. Time for sleep for me. Thanks again,