Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

The ign key lock and key, do i have to do a relearn with a scanner

i have a 2003 caviler...
i have a 2003 caviler 2.2 ecotec. qucik question, after i replace the ign key lock and key, do i have to do a relearn with a scanner that has that function?
7/27/2010
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

You do need to perform relearn procedure, but should not need a scanner. There is a 30 minute relearn procedure that does same thing as 10 minute scanner relearn procedure:

Here is relearn procedure, as well as learn procedure for any duplicate keys for new lock cylinder:

When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.

• With a master vehicle key(key that comes with new lock cylinder), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale(security light) will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  • If additional keys are required to be learned:
  • Adding Keys

Important:

To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.
    A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
    This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
    The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
    If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
    3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key
  • Eric
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager