Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

My fuel, temp, and oil gauges go to zero followed..intermittent

my fuel, temp, and oil gauges go to zero followed shortly after by the ammeter. then they all come back on along with all other start up lights. this started about a week ago as an intermittent problem. now today the truck died and when i went to start it, it would start and immediately die but eventually restart. it is a 2003 chevy express 3500.
Ok has a charging system test been done sounds like the alternator is bad .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a voltmeter on the battery before starting and had a full charge. when the truck was started I was reading 13.94 volts. Of course, the gauges wouldn't go haywire while I had the meter on.
Ok it still can be failing. Is there any aftermarket electronics in the van? Has the ignition switch been checked?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ignition switch has not been checked yet. I don't believe there are any aftermarket electronics. Driver is very old school.
Ok this all sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch is shorted out causing this issue . If the alternator checks out this needs to be checked next.

Hoped this helped

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.