Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Isuzu trooper: cylinder..revs past 1700 it..clunking noise..bearing

Customer Question

I have a 1989 4 cylinder isuzu trooper and at revs past 1700 it makes a clunking noise only when in gear or driving. is this a transmission or throw out bearing issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX wont be a throwout bearing, it would make noise in nuetral, I suspect its in the transmission, you could verify this by removing the rear drive shaft and putting it in 4wd and see if the noise is still there, if it is, then its in the trans, if its not, then it in the drive shaft or the rear differential,Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does make the noise in nuetral only it usually makes it in gear above 1700 rpm as i am rolling along i have even put the car nuetral and reved and it would make the noise. i have disconected the rear drive shaft. not sure why it would be the differential if when in nuetral wouldnt the diferential be disengadged. Also i could be rolling down hill at any speed with the car in gear and there is no noise unless i revthe motor.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
If it does iot sitting still in nuetral, then yes suspect the throwout, but does it do it with the clutch in and out????