Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2000 Bravada: v6..we have reverse lights but cant start

Customer Question
2000 Bravada v6 we had...
2000 Bravada v6 we had problems with the neutural switch so we repleced it and now we have reverse lights but cant start the bravada up it will not turn over
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
7/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: danny, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
danny
danny, Mechanic
  • Check the switch for proper operation.
  • The engine must be in the P (Park) or N (Neutral) positions only. If adjustment is required, loosen the switch retaining bolts and rotate the switch slightly.
  • Tighten the bolts and check the switch for proper operation.
  • Repeat the switch adjustment procedure until the engine starts when the shift lever is positioned in park and neutral.
  • If improper operation continues refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement.
  •  

Also check your brake switch

danny
    danny, Mechanic
    brake switch is work cause in able to shift in and out of gear and the brake lights work too

ok here is replacement procedures and in it pay special attention to the tool the lines up adjustment. if you dont have the tool you will have to eye ball it with trial and error.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hujumlbzlq1 open

danny
    danny, Mechanic
    ok we still cant get it started, we wiggled the plug and ajusted the switch like it told us and still nutn

hello?

smack the starter with a hammer a couple of times while trying to start it. dont break the houseing.
    ok we can start the bravada up when we jump the starter post or jump the fuse relay but not threw the key ignition

there is some issues with the ignition switch.

When diagnosing a concern regarding an intermittent vehicle no crank or dead battery, technicians should remove and reinstall the ignition switch using the Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in the Steering Wheel and Column section of SI. The ignition switch may have been misindexed in the steering column during a previous replacement.

If the ignition switch is misindexed in one direction, the ignition switch circuits will not be completely open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position with the key removed. This may result in lights remaining on or instrument panel lights illuminating, which will drain the battery. If the ignition switch is misindexed in the opposite direction, the ignition circuits will open correctly but the ignition switch may not close the crank circuit properly when the ignition key is turned to the crank position. This will result in a no crank concern.

when we turn the key the dash lights do come on but the driving lights wont now is that ignition switch?

sometimes yes sometimes no. I will do a little extra checking for you to see if I can find testing for you.

Here is a awsome pdf for you. I hope it helps you out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hhetjzzvzjj open

danny
    danny
    danny, Mechanic