Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

2006 Mazda 3: manual transmission..9,000, my car began to hesitate

I have a 2006 Mazda 3 manual transmission. I just went to Mammoth from LA. In Mammoth altitude about 9,000, my car began to hesitate. When I drove to LA the check engine light went on. I am going to move to mammoth. Is there something I need to do so the car can adapt to the high altitude?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

The car will adjust in Mammoth once you have been there a week or so and a weeks worth of drive cylces, that being said, the check engine light comes on when the PCM (computer) sees a system fault, when this happens, the PCM sets a fault code, so your next step is to have the car scanned and the code retrived to see what has failed in the system .

Customer:

I hesitate to take it in as I fear getting ripped off any advice there?

Ron :

In most states, most part stores will scan the car for you at no cost and retrive the code for you, if you can do it in Cali, get us a code and we can direct you in the correct repair.

Customer:

I am going to get the code and return with it later, Ron--I will then hit accept. Thanks

Ron :

Ok, get me the code and I can point you in the right direction, sse you then.

Customer:

I ordered a code reader from amazon overnight delivery--I will receive it today. I will send you the code and accept the answer after I get a response to that question--Is that fair?

Ron :

Yes that is fine,

Customer:

The check engine light went off on it's own. Then I checked the code and it is PO126.

Ron :

Customer:

hi

Customer:

I just checked the internet and someone noted that the code means thermostat stuck open--if this is indeed the meaning---how much would it cost to replace?

Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

The code P0126 is in most cases Insufficient coolant temperature usually due to a bad thermostat. In most cases replacing the thermostat will correct this issue. This would be more obvious at cooler temp. Start with repalcing the thermostat and I think you will be ok.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Let me know if you need more info.