Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

check engine light came on and then the oil light..oil pump..garage

someone drove my landrover for about 20 minutes with the oil light, I put more oil in it and drove it for about another 20 minutes until the check engine light came on and then the oil light again. Have I ruined the engine or is just the oil pump out? the car has been in a garage for 3 days and I have no answer from them yet. If the engine is ruined, is it possible to replace a benzene engine with a diesel one thanks linda
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Did the engine make any knocking noise when this happened?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
at first it did but at higher speed it went away
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Ok the knocking noise is not a good signs . It's a sign internally then engine overheated from lack of oil most likely from the pump. Most likely the pump can be replaced and the engine rebuilt . As for if it needs an engine the benzene diesel will not work .This is the next step.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was a ticking noise, is that a knocking noise?? if I were to replace the engine can I change to a diesel I dont understand what a benzene diels is
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
No a diesel will not work if it was just a ticking noise you should be fine no engine damage just lack of oil to the head and valves. Replacing the pump if that's the issue should take care of the issue .

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the temperature on the car never increased, is that a sign that I did not damage the engine. Please explain to me why if you exchange the engines, why you cannot replace a benzene engine with a diesel one? thanks
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Overheating by the temperature gage does not mean it did not overheat internally from lack of oil. As for the diesel engine the engine harness , ECM and bolt pattern will not bolt up correctly to the transmission. Also the motor mounts are different.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it better to have the engine rebuilt or replaced if the engine in ruined??
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Definitely replaced .WHen its rebuilt something always goes bad down the road any you will pay all that labor again.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
have now heard back from the garage and they say that the oil pump needs to be replaced. If the oil pump no longer works how can they tell if the engine was damaged and how will i know if the engine was damaged
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
They can tell by doing a compression test or draining the oil through a strainer and checking for metal particles.Do not approve the oil pump change until they can guarantee there is no internal damage.It will be a waste of money if the pump is changed and there is motor damage.This is the next step.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is the compression test something written as a quarantee that the motor is not damaged??
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes they need to do the compression test , cylinder leak down test and drain the oil through the strainer and see if there are any metal particles to be sure there are no signs of motor damage before replacing the pump.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is vitually the same answer that you gave me before, my question is is the compression test and the cylinder leak down test some thing writtten that can be used a s a guarantee rather than them just telling me that they tested the engine and its ok??
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes they would need to write down the actual reading and tell you there is no compression issues. This is a mechanical test. There still can be an over hearing issue like a spun bearing which will cause a noise and metal particles in the oil . So both need to be done.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry to be out of touch, heard also back from the garage that the sensor may be the only thing that is broken, am waiting for the sensor to arrive, if thats the case, does it mean that likely the engine did not overheat from lack of oil??
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes that would be great news and you will be fine .These do go bad and for about 150 parts and labor it will be fixed.

Hoped this helped.