Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

check engine light came on and then the oil light..oil pump..garage

Customer Question
someone drove my landrover for...
someone drove my landrover for about 20 minutes with the oil light, I put more oil in it and drove it for about another 20 minutes until the check engine light came on and then the oil light again. Have I ruined the engine or is just the oil pump out? the car has been in a garage for 3 days and I have no answer from them yet. If the engine is ruined, is it possible to replace a benzene engine with a diesel one thanks linda
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
7/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Did the engine make any knocking noise when this happened?
at first it did but at higher speed it went away
Ok the knocking noise is not a good signs . It's a sign internally then engine overheated from lack of oil most likely from the pump. Most likely the pump can be replaced and the engine rebuilt . As for if it needs an engine the benzene diesel will not work .This is the next step.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
it was a ticking noise, is that a knocking noise?? if I were to replace the engine can I change to a diesel I dont understand what a benzene diels is
No a diesel will not work if it was just a ticking noise you should be fine no engine damage just lack of oil to the head and valves. Replacing the pump if that's the issue should take care of the issue .

Hoped this helped.

the temperature on the car never increased, is that a sign that I did not damage the engine. Please explain to me why if you exchange the engines, why you cannot replace a benzene engine with a diesel one? thanks
Overheating by the temperature gage does not mean it did not overheat internally from lack of oil. As for the diesel engine the engine harness , ECM and bolt pattern will not bolt up correctly to the transmission. Also the motor mounts are different.
is it better to have the engine rebuilt or replaced if the engine in ruined??
Definitely replaced .WHen its rebuilt something always goes bad down the road any you will pay all that labor again.

Hoped this helped.

have now heard back from the garage and they say that the oil pump needs to be replaced. If the oil pump no longer works how can they tell if the engine was damaged and how will i know if the engine was damaged
They can tell by doing a compression test or draining the oil through a strainer and checking for metal particles.Do not approve the oil pump change until they can guarantee there is no internal damage.It will be a waste of money if the pump is changed and there is motor damage.This is the next step.

Hoped this helped.

is the compression test something written as a quarantee that the motor is not damaged??
Yes they need to do the compression test , cylinder leak down test and drain the oil through the strainer and see if there are any metal particles to be sure there are no signs of motor damage before replacing the pump.

Hoped this helped.

this is vitually the same answer that you gave me before, my question is is the compression test and the cylinder leak down test some thing writtten that can be used a s a guarantee rather than them just telling me that they tested the engine and its ok??
Yes they would need to write down the actual reading and tell you there is no compression issues. This is a mechanical test. There still can be an over hearing issue like a spun bearing which will cause a noise and metal particles in the oil . So both need to be done.

sorry to be out of touch, heard also back from the garage that the sensor may be the only thing that is broken, am waiting for the sensor to arrive, if thats the case, does it mean that likely the engine did not overheat from lack of oil??
Yes that would be great news and you will be fine .These do go bad and for about 150 parts and labor it will be fixed.

Hoped this helped.

Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician