Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Cant get 2002 Pontiac Sunfire Air to work from switch. App

Customer Question

Can't get 2002 Pontiac Sunfire Air to work from switch. Appears to be a wiring/electrical problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian Maxwell replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Thank you for using justanswer my name isXXXXX you tried to jump over the low pressure switch? Its in the line where the small charge port is or on the accumulator(Can tube looking thing).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, we can jump over the switch and get it the compressor to work. In fact, we even changed some kind of wiring pigtail thing...lol. My mechanic knows what that is. Hopefully this helps?
Does the little ac light come on on the dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, he check the switch inside. It's getting power in and out of it. He said we're losing it somewhere between the inside switch and the compressor. He also mentioned that some kind of fan should come on when the switch is turned on but that's not coming on either.
Have you checked all the fuses not just the ac fuse all of them, If its not a fuse than theres a Brake in the wire somewere between the control head and the low pressues switch. Im going to leave this question open for the other Experts one of them may know right off hand what it could be. Thank You
Brian
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX've check all fuses.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

New Expert here!

Are we missing a signal from the computer to active the relay?

Do you need a wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If i understood my mechanic correctly, that signal is there.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Ok.. if you are getting a signal to the relay top active, then the relay should be sending a signal sending out power to the compressor... let me get you a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have a diagram for the relay and one for the switches.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Ok.. good... here is the diagram I have... lets be sure we are on the same page...If you are in fact getting a signal to active the relay, then you should have power coming out of the relay on the dark green wire.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, this is the diagram i have
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Ok.. good... so are we getting power this dark green wire coming out of the relay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, that is my understanding
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Ok.. so do we have power ot the AC compressor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no power at the compressor
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Ok.. so what we are going to need to do it go to the starter relay and check for power on this green wire. IF there is power on this green wire coming out of the relay and no power ot the AC compressor, then this wire is simply open or broke somewhere between the AC relay and AC compressor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we'll check this and i'll get back with you. Thanks,
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to hit the "accept" button if you have found my answer helpful. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

I am just checking up on you. Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Right now i'm waiting on my mechanic to trace down the a/c wires. He is very busy, so it may be up to a week before he has a chance to check the wiring.

Don't worry, i haven't forgotten.

Thanks,

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Ok... you can always accept my answer now and we can still continue to have our conversation if needed. Bonus and positive feedback and appreciated!