Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 Kia Sedona: mornings..engine stalls, rpms drop..seconds later…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Kia...
I have a 2001 Kia Sedona. For the past three mornings I drive exactly two miles, the engine stalls, rpms drop to zero, I let off the gas and approximately 2-3 seconds later the rpms come back up and everything is fine. The odd thing is that it can sit for 8 hours while I'm at work and will not exhibit the same symptoms in the afternoon. Reputable service shop cannot duplicate symptoms.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/30/2010
Auto Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech
hi when a problem like this exist the computer will store codes describing the location and the part failure by storing a code on the computer memory for the technician to guide himself base on that code, do you know if they scan the pcm for codes?

They scanned the codes and all they get is a rear catalytic converter code. This code has been in the system for months. They told me that the catalytic converter isn't cleaning as well as it should and that this failure is an unrelated situation. Other than the early morning stall, the vehicle runs fine.

ok, yes that code is an unrelated concern , if the vehicle stalls or does not start, and is not setting any codes for that problem then it must be a crank or cam sensor not synchronize due to one of them not reporting reference signal to the pcm, this will cause a problem like this and will not set a code or engine light, they should start by checking this signal when engine cold.and the most possible cause can be the cam sensor.