Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

was a power steering leak, dripping onto the relay that goes…

Customer Question
my o2 sensors have been...
my o2 sensors have been replaced four times, due to what i now know was a power steering leak, dripping onto the relay that goes to the computer, causing them to short signal. since then i have cleaned up the exposed wires and replaced the o2 sensors, but now my car will not start at all. it turns over but will not ignite/run on its own. there is plenty of gas in the car and everything was put back together properly. i drive a 96 jeep grand cherokee, 6 cylinder,XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/30/2010
Auto Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Master Certified Tech
hi, first lest find out what is missing, have you check for spark? can you press the valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel squirts out with pressure?

you mean check the spark plugs? and what and where is the fuel rail?

yesterday, i had cleaned up the wires that were exposed leading from the relay back to the computer i wrapped them in electrical tape, then started the car, it ran but very poorly as the o2 sensors went bad. but, at least it started, then later that day i went to start the car and all it did was turn(ie. i can here the starter but would not actually turn on)

remove the coil wire end going to the distributor and stick a screw driver or an old spark plug lye the spark plug or screw driver close to metal any wear and have some one crank the engine check for spark coming out of the plug or screw driver.

k. what/where is the fuel rail?

fuel rail is in top of the engine, it holds the fuel injectors in to the intake manifold there should be a valve on it remove the cap,press the valve it looks like a tire valve , see if fuel squirts out with some pressure.

Fig. 6 Fuel Pressure Test Gage - Typical Installation

fuel squirted out but not constant just a short little burst then nothing.
ok , did you get spark on the previous test

dont have anyone to help me currently.

Q: so just because the starter is turning over doesnt mean that the sparks are being ignited via spark plugs? also: do i need to test this on all spark plugs or just one?

no just test one