Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2004 mitsubishi eclipse: air conditioner engage..run when adding freon…

Customer Question
I am working on a...
I am working on a 2004 mitsubishi eclipse air conditioner system. How does the air conditioner engage. I can't seem to get it to run when adding freon? It did one time and I have undone the negativebattery cable to reset computer; however, no luck.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/30/2010
Auto Mechanic: Car Whisperer, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Car Whisperer
Car Whisperer, ASE Certified Technician

Hi I'll try to help you with your a/c concern. The refrigerant must be within a specific pressure (psi) range to allow the compressor clutch to engage. So, lets start by making sure you have the proper amount of refrigerant in the system. What method are you using to measure the pressure in your system, or are you just using the do it yourself cans? Let me know and we'll proceed from there. Thanks!

yes., i am using do it your self cans with a built in gauge.

Are you able to add enough refrigerant to bring the system to about 50-60 psi?

You should be able to add enough refrigerant to allow the clutch to engage, which will drop low side pressure so you can fill to the proper amount. If you aren't able to make the clutch come on with this method, I would suggest jumping power directly to the compressor clutch to force it to come on electronically. This will allow you to determine weather the clutch is bad or if you have a control problem causing the computer to not engage the clutch. Let me know the results to these questions and procedures and let me know what you find. If you cannot get the clutch to engage even with it jumped, the clutch is bad and must be replaced. This is easier if you just do the compressor and clutch assembly already put together. If it does come on when you jump it, I will help you diagnose what is keeping it from coming on. Thanks again!

it was the clutch. I have replaced the whole unit and now i have air. Thx Rick