Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1993 olds: power lock..unlock button on the drivers door..doors lock…

Customer Question
1993 olds cut sup 4...
1993 olds cut sup 4 dr power lock problem when you hit the unlock button on the drivers door all 4 doors lock
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/30/2010
Auto Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech

hi,if the door locks will not unlock then check the power and grounds from the switch,remove the switch and check the wires,usually it will be the switch on the drivers side that fails because of constant use but check the wires in the switch for power out to the switches when pushing the button to unlock the doors.

WITHOUT KEY LESS ENTRY
When a Door Lock Switch is activated in the Power Door Locks System, all doors lock or unlock in unison. Each lock can also be operated manually from the locking knob. The locks are operated by reversible motors that receive voltage from two relays in the Power Door Lock Relay. These relays operate to turn the motors on by applying a voltage to one of the terminals and a ground to the other terminal. To reverse the motors, the polarity to the terminals must be reversed.

When either Door Lock Switch is moved to the "LOCK" position, it completes a circuit to the coil of the Power Door Lock Relay. The Power Door Lock Relay is energized. Its contact for the Lock Relay closes and is connected to battery voltage through CKT 60, which is the voltage feed for driving the motors.

Voltage is then applied to CKT 295 and to the Door Lock Motors, which are grounded by CKT 294 from the other terminal of the motor through the contact for the Unlock Relay. The motor in each door runs to operate the door lock. When the Door Lock Switch is released, the Lock Relay contact closes to ground again and the motors turn off.

A similar action occurs with the Power Door Lock Relay when it is energized by either of the Door Lock Switches closing to the "UNLOCK" position. Now CKT 294 to the motors carries battery voltage and CKT 295 is grounded. The polarity of the voltage to the motors has reversed. The motors run in the opposite direction to unlock the doors.

The Door Lock Switches are usually closed for just a moment. If they are held closed, a circuit breaker in each motor will open to protect against damage. The circuit breaker resets only after voltage is removed from the motor

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic