Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My suzuki aerio 2003 awd wont start it ran okay for a 34 mile…

My suzuki aerio 2003 awd...
My suzuki aerio 2003 awd won't start it ran okay for a 34 mile trip and a short visit and went out to start it and turned the key and nothing at the starter. Headlights seem bright enough and windows roll up and down. AC came on and blower works okay, tried jump starting no help, cleaned negative battery terminal b-4 trying to jump start,. Symptom the digital display goes out and or very dim when key is turned to start.
6/29/2010
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Odds are you have either had a starter failure or some type of electrical failure. You can have a battery load test performed to check the battery, it is probably good, because if the battery is bad a jump start will normally make it start. The best thing to do is the check every last fuse in the vehicle. From there if you are the DIY type, you can check for a signal at the starter on the trigger wire. If you have the signal to the trigger wire and the battery is good and all the electrical connections are good then the starter will most likely be bad. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr Hamman,

I am a DIY person and usually can get to the root of the problem. I am going to source a starter today. By stating the trigger wire are you referring to the wire to the solenoid which engages the starter ? I usually expect to have two wires at the starter solenoid one which is for the power and one to cause it to energize. The symptom that I can't ignore is the dash display going dim, maybe this is atypical and just haven't noticed due to normal starter engagement it's a relatively small window usually when it engages

I unfortunately am quite a distance from the vehicle and it's in a hospital parking lot. I don't feel the hospital staff would like someone tinkering on a vehicle in their lot !

The next step is to check all fuses and or get the vehicle home. Since it is a all wheel drive model it should not be towed and must transported on a rollback.

Oh by the way it's an automatic transmission model if that should happen to steer you into a differnet mode of thinking on the problem !

Andy, the dash display is pretty typical on most models, as normal operation is usually interrupted for the starting of the engine. I believe you will find that you are correct and it always does this. Being an automatic transmission, you might have trouble with the neutral safety switch. Place it in neutral and try to start it, also turn the key on and push the shifter firmly into park. If the neutral safety switch is acting up it will often allow you to start the vehicle in neutral, or if you push the shifter firmly into park. Also check each and every last fuse under the hood and inside the vehicle.

At most auto parts stores they sell remote starter switches with wires and clips attached, and these are an easy way to start the engine without having to be close to the starter, like if you are by yourself. You could attach one of these and see if it will start. If it does you could drive it away, and if you need to turn it off it would be easy to restart. This would allow you to drive it as opposed to the expense of getting it transported.

If there is no signal to the trigger wire on the starter, then the starter will be good and there is a problem in the electrical system. You will need a good schematic to proceed from there, and a service manual is a must to get into this repair. Suspect the neutral safety switch, and the ignition switch. Before you condemn the starter make sure you clean the battery terminals and cables, and re test it. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Being a believer in the Kiss principle I have done the starter replacement today, car has over 130,000 miles on the clock now, Did get it transported to my location allready. Next is the check of all fuses and safety neutral switch I believe it is attatched on the top side of the transmission case controlled by the cable from the shifter and yes i did attempt to start it while in neutral. Same symptom, even after rather forcefully shoving the lever into park and jiggling it. Tommorrow is another day maybe a fresh look at the neutral switch and the fuses check with a ohm meter may point me in the right direction, need further info on the relays under the hood and their functions. I did test the original starter after removal by placing the negative lead from a battery charger on the starters case and touching the positive lead to first the solenoid lead and it clicked bendix drive extended then to both solenoid lead and starter lead and it spun with the bendix extended imagine that !!! Wasted day and money oh well shotgun Harry struck again. I definitely need to get a lead to the signal while to test to see if it's getting +12vdc and then go from there. Right now more than likely it's not. Yes

I did clean the battery terminals before attempting to start after starter R&R.

Yeah I know that is no fun. You might also want to check the output of the ignition switch to see if it is trying to initiate the signal to crank the starter. You also are to the point where a good schematic is a must, to find the problem. Without it that shotgun guy might show up a few more times. Use your head and logic, it will always get you through wiring problems. You have what it takes to do this I can tell. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Just an update FYI the instrument cluster may go dim but only for a faction of a second durring the starter engaging sequence. Mine was dimming when the key was held to the start position. I did find the root problem today it was the negative lead attatched ( or it was supposed to be ) on transmission case from the battery negative side.KISS principle once again basic electronics. I apreciate your efforts and words of encouragement.

Salt and vibration do funny things to Copper wiring even as large as the battery leads.I found it by simply tugging on it and it came out of the rubber grommet around the ring terminal. I crimped on a ring terminal using vise grips after tinning the negative battery lead and then soldered the ring terminal on the lead. VROOOMMM AgainSealed

I did manage to locate wiring diagrams CD format and for right hand steer models. Wiring is basic when it comes to models of either right or left hand steer.Got my copy comming.

The solder is a good move. it is good th hear you got it figured out. These electrical issues can take a lot of time. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.