Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2000 Mitsubishi: drives..It took 2 quarts to bring it up to level…

Customer Question
my mother drives a 2000...
my mother drives a 2000 Mitsubishi Gallant. I checked the oil for her and noticedit was bone dry. It took 2 quarts to bring it up to level! Not sure how long it was like that but that's bad. So, after I put the oil in I noticed the air filter was very black and needed to be changed. I got it wet when i cleaned it. Today she started it up and the check engine light came on and it stalls when you drive down the road. It idles fine though. What do I do? let it dry out?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/28/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Ok do you Know the code for the engine light?
no I don't
Ok this is what you do. Remove and replace air filter regardless. That's step one . Then disconnect the battery both terminals for 30 minutes and then reconnect them . This should reset all systems, then reconnect the battery. The car should be fine now. Of there still an issue let me know or if the check engine light comes back on there is definitely a problem possible sensor failure. These see the next steps

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
ok we'll be in touch thanks. ill do that today
No problem . Don't forget to accept this is the only way we get compensated thanks.
If need more help later add to the question.

Hoped this helped.