Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

A local garage as it was misfiring at low revs..vacuum..timing chain…

Customer Question
Hi There Hopefully you can help...
Hi There
Hopefully you can help me. I took my car into a local garage as it was misfiring at low revs and a previous electronic test and vacuum test had revealed nothing. It's a 2.2 Vectra and I understand there are known issues with the timing chain and tensioners.

After about 2 weeks the garage told me it was an issue with the tensioners and they needed replacing. I then got a call to say the engine had seized however they claimed they had replaced the tensioner after the engine had seized! I think they replaced the tensioners and failed to adjust the chain correctly, turned the engine over and caused cylinder head damage. I want to go back to them but thought I would check with you experts first.

If you get zero compression and suspect the chain has jumped - would you replace the tensioners and turn it over (possibly damaging further) or would you investigate the loss of compression?
When faced with loss of compression what are the nexts steps, usually? Leak Down Test?
In a Vauxhall Technical Bulletin Sheet it suggests that when replacing the tensioners the belt should also be replaced - do you agree with this?
How long would it normally take to replace tensioners and adjust the timing chain? The book says 4.3hours!

I think the garage is at fault and I may have to take them to court over it as the engine is completely knackered. The have emailed me with the sequence of events (described above), but it makes no sense to me why they didn't investigate the loss of compression before fitting the tensioners, and why they thought replacing the tensioners would cure the problem if they thought the chain had jumped causing the zero compression. What do you think?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Toby
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/28/2010
Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 8 years ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi and welcome to JA.com. I will assisted you best i can.

You most likely have a case here.

How many miles does the car have.

Have all maintenance service's been done in the pass .

When you went in to the Garage with the miss? did they carried out a compression test and what was the readings.

Has the engine sized or was it damaged due to incorrect lining up of the timing,

and started without checking, and damaged the engine due to piston and valves

clashing together.

For further assistance please let me know,
Regards Greg

Hi Greg

The car has done about 85k. We got the car serviced before each MOT but not always through a recognised Vauxhall dealer.

The garage did a vacuum test but I think this is different from a compression test - is that right?

They are saying that the engine had zero compression before they fitted the tensioners - which I doubt. Here is what the garage actually said:

'the vehicle came into our workshop for engine mis fire although it was more prominent at low reves infact is was there all the time at all reves, after checking the vehicle on our computer it came up with no electronic faults, we then checked all the vacumn air system in the vehicle all checked out okay we then inspected the egr valve which was fitted at a different garage. we then went to start the engine at this time the tensioner had seized and then timing had jumped further causing engine to lose all compression. we then advised the customer of what had happened <they didn't, I got the call after they fitted the tensioner>, we then stripped the top engine mounting cover and timing chain causing re set the timing and fitted new tensioners one for the main chain and the other one for the secondary chain rebuild and test engine still not starting due to possible cyclinder head damage'

Does this seem right to you? Have I got a good argument that what they did is not mechanically sound?

I appreciate this is just advise at the moment. If I did decide to take this further would you be prepared to write a report on their explanation (I appreciate you cant look at the car), saying whether they approached this the right way or not? How much would a report cost and do you have any formal qualifications that would impress a small claims court!!

Thanks for your help,

Toby

Hi Toby.

First a engine with Zero compression will not start.

Vacuum test i check at the inlet manifold No Vacuum engine will not start.

Vacuum tests are to see how the engine is running to see if the timing valve are set correctly ect.

If the tensioner had seized and the chain had jumped then there is a very big chance that the valve made contact with the piston ,resulting in bent valve < no start>

Looks like you honestly had a problem with the timing chain thats why you had a slight misfire which was not picked up by the engine management system.

When the tensioner is bad the chain is not tight, and the correlation between the cam and crank will be out of time and start a misfire,

at idle when you accelerate the engine the chain get tight stopping the miss, as timing get back in time,with load on engine.

At idle chain is lose again then restart of misfire.

The only diagnostic fault was they just check for codes and did not go into live data to check all parameters and readings of sensors, this way a miss can be located.

But with the engine problem this could of happened in your own hands , as said the miss was due to the timing chain tensioner.

Just a shame was not diagnose earlier.

Kind regards Greg.

Greg
Greg, Technician

Thanks Greg - I think I follow you.

Why would they replace the tensioners and adjust the timing belt after the engine had seized? Is there a possibility that this would have cured it?

Cheers

Toby

If the diagnostics had been a bit better i think this would not have happened .

This can happen to the best of us as well ..we are just human and mistakes will happen , experiance was the factor here

Kind regards Greg.