Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 SAAB: 000 miles..starter..which occurs randomly, 1 click and dead…

2001 SAAB 9-3 with 72,000...
2001 SAAB 9-3 with 72,000 miles. Intermitten starter problem, which occurs randomly, 1 click and dead. Wait 15-30 minitutes and OK. Has new battery, never happens at mechanics. Help, please
6/27/2010
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello!

Sounds like you have a bad starter. An intermittent starter that is going bad will work sometimes, all of a sudden not work, then start working again. You will need to catch it when it is not working and make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If battery voltage is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced!

How can I get mechanic to find and solve? He will not commit until he sees issue

I would suggest that you leave it with a mechanic long enough for your vehicle to act up. THat way he will be able to accurately diagnose it.
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Took to mechanic and after 3 days problem never happened while they had car. They tested and found nothing wrong with starter, so best guess was to replace neutral start switch, 5 days now and all still ok.

Sounds good!

Glad to hear it is working!