Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2005 f150 lariat: crew..leaks..truck starts to run very rough..acts…

Customer Question
2005 f150 lariat crew 5.4...
2005 f150 lariat crew 5.4 when feul is over 3/4 ,smells gas bad . no vizable leaks. also once in a while the truck starts to run very rough with pinging noises and bucking.shut the truck of and it seems fine for however till acts up again. no codes present
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/27/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
It sounds like you have a leaking injector. A strong smell of fuel is often the result of a leaking injector. Usually inspecting the plugs will tell you what injector is leaking. I would adivse pulling the plugs and look at which one(s) look fuel fouled.
The cylinders with the fuel fouled injectors would indicate a leaking injector.
Do you have a scan tool? Check for fuel trims and misfire data. If you have a data optional.

FUEL INJECTORS

Part 1

Part 2

Exploded View

Removal and Installation

WARNING:

• Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
  • Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before working on or disconnecting any of the fuel tubes or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
  1. Release the fuel system pressure.
  2. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  3. Remove the air cleaner and air cleaner intake pipe.
  4. Remove the fuel rail.
  5. NOTE:
    • Install new O-ring seals on the fuel injectors.
    • Lubricate the new fuel injector O-ring seals with clean engine oil prior to installing the fuel injectors.

Remove the 8 fuel injectors and discard the 8 lower and 8 upper fuel injector O-ring seals.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Are you not satisfied with my answer?
SCANER NOT PICKING UP ANY CODES OR MISFIRE AND I THINK GAS SMELL IS UNRELATED TO WHEN ENGINE GOES RUNNING POORLY .