Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Coil pack..the crankshaft replaced, injection system..sensors…

Customer Question
Hi Brian, I am so...
Hi Brian,

I am so sad and frustrated. I just paid a private mechanic $600.00 to put in a coil pack. He said I needed to have the crankshaft replaced, injection system was going to be checked and the sensors. I have a 2003 9.5 Saab. By the way I purchase my own coilpack used from another state. My car sings and then the main warning light comes on as well as the oil pressure light. He says that he needs an addionally $210.00 to flush the oil system. I told him no and that I thought he was being unfair and unreasonable just because I am a woman. What is going on with this vehicle?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/27/2010
Auto Mechanic: PAVLIN, Technician replied 8 years ago
PAVLIN
PAVLIN, Technician

Hi, from my work on Saab's I have come to solve coil pack problems as I remove top engine cover(the plastic decorative cover on top of the engine) I have concluded(successfully) that with that cover ON the car coil pack cannot cool properly and gives problems and goes bad.

answer is open in case you will need more info.

Regards Pavlin

Does the oil pressure light coming on have anything to do with the coilpack or the crankshaft. My problem is the oil pressure light and the warning light coming on together.

Auto Mechanic: jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician replied 8 years ago
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Good AMCustomer Your problem is a clogged oil pickup screen caused by sludge buildup in the engine...when the vehicle first starts , the "singing" is the oil trying to flow through the clogged screen and the oil pump running dry...This causes the oil light to come on...Most times this damages the internal components in the engine and requires a short block replacement...really depends on how long and how much damage was done...Saab also has offered customer assistance in the past in repairing this issue since it is a very common problem due to the design of the vehicle...I would call Saab customer service and see if they will help you out...You will need to have oil change service receipts that support proper vehicle maintenance...This has absolutely nothing to do with the coil pack...If I can assist further please let me know...jeffrey590

Okay, I have a clearer picture. Does it have anything to do with the crankshaft?

Only if there is bearing and/or journal damage do to lack of lubrication...jeffrey590
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician