Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

no power to starter what to check for, and where is it

Customer Question
car will not start and...
car will not start and no power to starter what to check for, and where is it found
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/26/2010
Auto Mechanic: tundra_fats, Technician replied 8 years ago
tundra_fats
tundra_fats, Technician
Hello, welcome to just answer, when you turn the key, dies the starter make a noise, what noise? And do you have accessory power such as lights and radio?
starter does not make a noise when key is turned and I do have lights and radio.
Check your fuses and see if one is bad, they are under dash and hood. Is the car a manual or automatic? Also, double check connections at starter. Do the dash lights turn off when you turn the key to crank? Main causes of this are fuses, connections, battery ground not good or tight, or bad ignition. Your positive there isn't a click from a relay under the hood when you turn the key? Thanks for the info.
I checked all fuses and they are good. when I try to crank radio turns off but dash lights remain on. no click under hood when key is turned.when I push start car it runs good.
One of three things, bad cable, bad starter, bad ignition. When did this happen, and what is the original reason you replaced the starter? Do you have a test light?