Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

What small cars or trucks have a 275 to307 gear ratio rearend?

Customer Question
what small cars or trucks have a 275 to307 gear ratio rearend?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/27/2010
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The early 80, Ford mustang 7.5 inch rear ends were used in 3.08 a lot, and were very popular in the gold wing trikes. Most of them were narrowed a bit, and had custom brackets welded to them to mount up to the wing. There are many others you can use too. I mentioned this one in particular because it was so popular in gold wing trikes. It was also available in a few higher ratios, close to 2.73 . If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

You said there were a few other options please give me a few more options and I will be happy to hit accept answer thank you.

The other options are hit and miss, mostly because most rear ends this size have lower gear ratios. Some chevy rear ends are in the range of the one you are looking for, but they are bigger than the ford, and will add a lot of extra weight you don't need. There are some real good Volvo rear ends to. I mentioned the mustang rear end because the vast majority of the Gold wing trike manufacturers use it, the mustangs are super common, the price is low, the parts are easily available, it was common to see it in the gear ratios you are wanting. If you want to shop around and see what others you could use, a pull your own parts auto salvage is your ultimate smorgasbord. You can see hundreds of styles. Volvos, fords, Chevy's, and more. With the rear wheel drive car becoming less popular the choice isn't as good as it was 15 years ago. Determining the gear ratio us easy. Tun the drive shaft and count how many revolutions it takes to make the tire turn one turn. If the drive shaft turns 2 3/4 times to the wheels one turn it is a 2.75 ratio, if the drive shaft turns 3 1/2 times it is a 3.50 ratio and so on. Also cars with automatic transmissions, and larger engines will tend to have higher gear ratios like you are looking for. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is I highly recommend the ford 7.5 mustang rear, I don't think you will find a better choice. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.