Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Tdi..dip..lost power..power and a few seconds later the engine cut out…

Customer Question
LR 110 Defender 98 model...
LR 110 Defender 98 model Tdi. Travelling on very bad dirt road and struck a dip. Immediately lost power and a few seconds later the engine cut out. Checked as much of the fuses and wires all look ok. Power seems all ok. Engine turns but will not start, sounds like it is not getting diesel. What can we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 day by:
6/27/2010
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

There is an inertia fuel shut down switch on your model I believe. I am in the US, and on the US model it is located on the fire wall passenger side (Right side if sitting in the vehicle ) in the engine compartment. black with a black rubber cover. simply press it down to reset. In South Africa it may be located elsewhere. Call a local Dealers service department, or look in your owners manual to find out specifics for your model. These things are often different in different parts of the world. The device is supposed to shut down the fuel flow in accidents to prevent fires. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Hi Thank you for the reply. The answer took too long. We have already resolved the issue ourselves by late Saturday afternoon. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.