Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1997 mitsubishi: with starting problems..Engine turns..kick..stranded…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 mitsubishi...
I have a 1997 mitsubishi verada with starting problems. Engine turns over but doesnt kick in to start. I have been stranded in so many places because of this. It happens anytime, hot or cold, have had auto electricians scratching their heads with it...any ideas what it could be.

Regards Sue
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/26/2010
Auto Mechanic: Ryan, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Mechanic
Hi

What were the actual immobiliser codes? Is it possible to get these codes for me.

Did the Auto Elec replace the BEM module?

Also if the vehicle starts does it keep running until you switch it off , or does it stall?

If it had immobiliser codes, it could be the "key reader"

On the ignition barrel you have a white plastic ring around it.

To access this You will have to remove the drivers side lower dash cover, and remove the plastic ignition barrel cover and foam, you will see the reader it has a white ring with copper wire through it around the front of the barrel itself.

Check the wiring and plugs leading from the white ring, clean the connectors and make sure that they are making good contact in the plug, the wiring pins in the plug heats up and expands and gives a poor connection, this causes the car not to start, also give the reader a bit of a clean to while you are there, the white ring gets sludged up over time.