Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

terms - how a manual gearbox (four forward + reverse gear) works…

I am editing a college...
I am editing a college textbook and need to verify - in simple step-by-step terms - how a manual gearbox (four forward + reverse gear) works. I also need five graphics to explain how the four forward + reverse gear work. Can anyone help?
6/25/2010
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
How about this link:

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html

If you need any more info than that please ask, I could not write a better answer for you than they have there.
Thanks for reference to the website. It has loads of information. I was really looking for a much simpler step-by-step explanation (for example: 10 points on the process of what happens when you change the gears, with a diagram to show each stage).
Well, I'll opt out then and we'll see if another expert can help you.
Okay - thanks for the interest, anyway.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, let me try to help you.

A manual transmission has a input shaft and output shaft. the input shaft is connected to the engine via a clutch system. The output shaft is connected to the rear wheels via the driveshaft and axle (assuming its a rear wheel drive vehicle. Since you just want to know what occurs inside the transmission I will not go into detail on what occurs outside the unit. Inside the transmission is a shaft called the mainshaft and one called the countershaft. The mainshaft is going to turn anytime the engine is running and the clutch pedal is not pressed. This mainshaft has gears on it of different diameters, one for each gear. The counter shaft also has gears on it of different sizes, one for each gear. Now to change gears you move the shifter, which in turn slides rails forward and rearward. These rails have shift forks on them. these forks engage what are called shift collars onto the synchronizers and then lock onto the gears. The synchronizers are small clutches or brakes whomever your speaking to. What they are, are a cone shaped cylinder with friction material on them, This friction material mates with the cone shaped gear and slows it down and matches the speed so the collar can lock onto the gear. This is needed because when you press the clutch the shafts are still spinning and gear grinding would occur if you did not get the speeds matched with these friction tabs.. There are normally 2-3 shift collars and 4-6 synchronizers. To achieve reverse you must use a idler pulley which now allows for reverse rotation of the shaft.Power starts by coming in on the main, then to the counter, then from the counter back into which ever gear you select and out of the transmission on the mainshaft. See some of the images below

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician