Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2002 Protege: the car and turn on the AC, the fan comes on and the AC…

Customer Question
My 2002 Protege is having...
My 2002 Protege is having condenser fan issues. When I start the car and turn on the AC, the fan comes on and the AC is cold. When I drive the car everything continues to work perfectly. But after driving for about 30min and then parking and idling, the condenser fan switches off and the AC still blows but is no longer cool (I know the fan is stopping because I have seen it). If I start driving again, however, the fan will come back on and the AC blows cold again. Could the problem be a relay, switch, or sensor, or is the fan motor going out, or is it some other problem? By the way, the car never overheats or runs rough or anthing like that. Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/25/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Most common are two things the condenser fan relay or the motor shorting out. Install the relay first if the issue still happens then the condenser fan motor is heating up and shorting out then stopping until it cools. These would be the next steps.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Where is the condenser fan relay located?
In the under hood fuse box.