Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1999 dodge Dakota: recently bought.. lights came..speedometer..30mph…

I recently bought my son...
I recently bought my son a used 1999 dodge Dakota pick up. I only have had the truck for a couple of weeks and sure enough we are having our first poblem. What happened (and all at the same time), the "brake",""abs" lights came on and the speedometer dosen't register until you hit about 30mph. I am not sure that this truck has even has abs. If it helps, this truck does have the magnum engine. I would like to fix this myself because I put what ever money I had into the purchase. Please help.

Bob
6/25/2010
JOHN
JOHN, ASE Certified Technician
Hi Bob, Most likely is that your truck does have ABS if a light is coming on the dash. What is happening is the ABS system needs to get a porper signal from the speedometer for it to work properly. If the speedo is working as you say, your loosing the signal from the transmission to the ABS system. You will need to be able to trace down the wiring and test the system. You will need some test instruments and be able to get into the dash of the truck and get to the transmission. If you are unable to do that you will need to take it to a garage.
JOHN
JOHN, ASE Certified Technician

John,

I have almost every tool. Can you tell me the proceedure to check it?

Thanks,

Bob

Give me a moment, are you sure about the engine size and I need to know if its a 2 orXXXXXand if it a R/T

Edited by JOHN on 6/25/2010 at 2:25 PM EST
I need more info on the truck, see earlier answer
Sorry John I am in and out of meetings. The engine is a 5.2 V8 Sport

Hi John,

Are you still working on this?

bob

Yes, give me a moment

Unfortunately you need a vehicle specific tool with a DRB3 connector to access the ABS codes on you Dodge, they do not provide a manual way of retrieving these. However I feel that with the information you have provided, you may want to check the vehicle speed output sensor located in the tail housing of the transmission or the speed sensor located in the rear differential, for the ABS system, both of these rely on each other for information to control the ABS as well as the power train management system. If you remove thespeed sensor from the differential and notice allot of debris on the sensor it's self the may be the cause of the failure, however too much metal on the sensor may also indicate that the differential is worn.