Car

I have a 98 Chevy Tahoe. Wont start when its cold. I can…

Customer Question
I have a 98 Chevy...
I have a 98 Chevy Tahoe. Won't start when it's cold. I can get it started by pouring gas into the intake. Engine will start ok when it's warm. I've changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Fuel pressure checks good 58 psi. After engine starts fuel pressure is good and engine has plenty of power. Fuel injector balance checked good, pressure... Read full answer
I have a 98 Chevy Tahoe. Won't start when it's cold. I can get it started by pouring gas into the intake. Engine will start ok when it's warm. I've changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Fuel pressure checks good 58 psi. After engine starts fuel pressure is good and engine has plenty of power. Fuel injector balance checked good, pressure dropped 10-12 psi with a 5 mil ses, 100 pulse. Compression checked good. Coolant temp sensor shows right temp 89 deg. Throttle Position Sensor reads correctly 0 at idle and 100 at wide open transitions are smooth.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
6/24/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

ok

check the fuel pressure when the engine is cold and turning the starter..these must have no less than 60psi...i would think the fuel pump is pulling too many amps and it will not have the 60psi it needs to start when cold...i would think you need a new pump

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

fuel pressure

Testing and Inspection

Diagnostic Chart
Diagnostic Chart
Diagnostic Chart
Diagnostic Chart
Diagnostic Chart
Diagnostic Chart
Description

Circuit Description

When you turn ON the ignition switch, the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) turns ON the in-tank fuel pump. The pump remains ON as long as the engine is cranking or running and the VCM is receiving reference pulses. If there are no reference pulses, the VCM shuts the fuel pump OFF within 2 seconds after you turn the ON the ignition or if the engine stops.

An electric fuel pump pumps the fuel through an in-line filter to the Central SFI unit. The pump is attached to the fuel level meter assembly inside of the fuel tank. The pump is designed in order to provide fuel at a pressure above the regulated pressure needed by the injectors. The pressure regulator keeps the fuel available to the injector at a regulated pressure. Unused fuel is returned to the fuel tank by a separate line.

Diagnostic Aids

Tools Required

• J 34730-E Fuel Pressure Gauge.
  • J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gauge with J 34730-250 Fuel Pressure Adapter Kit.
  • d 42873-1 3/8 Fuel Feed Pipe Shutoff Valve and the J 42873-2 5/16 Fuel Return Pipe Shutoff Valve.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. Wrap a shop towel around the fuel pressure connection to absorb any small amount of fuel leakage that may occur when installing the fuel pressure gauge. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF, the fuel pressure should be 415-455 kPa (60-66 psi). This pressure is controlled by a spring pressure within the regulator assembly.
  1. The fuel pressure that continues to fall is caused by one of the following items:
    • The in-tank modular fuel sender is not holding pressure.
    • The fuel pressure regulator valve is leaking.
    • A Central SFI injector is leaking.
    • Fuel line is leaking.
  1. When the engine is idling, the manifold pressure is low (high vacuum) and is applied to the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. This will offset the spring and result in a lower fuel pressure. This idle pressure will vary somewhat depending on the barometric pressure; however, the pressure at idle should be less indicating the pressure regulator control.
  1. If the fuel pressure is less than 415 kPa (60 psi), it falls into the following 3 areas:
    • The pressure is regulated but less than 415 kPa (60 psi).The amount of fuel reaching the injector is sufficient, but the pressure is too low. The system will run lean, hard starting cold, no start, overall poor performance, and may set a DTC.
    • A restricted flow causing pressure drop-Normally, a vehicle with a fuel pressure of less than 300 kPa (44 psi) at idle is inoperable. However, it the pressure drop occurs only while driving, the engine will normally surge then stop running as the pressure begins to drop rapidly. This is most likely caused by a restricted fuel line or plugged filter.
    • A leaking or contaminated pressure regulator valve or seat interface may not allow the regulated pressure to be achieved.

Notice: Do not allow the fuel pressure to exceed 517 kPa (75 psi). Excessive pressure may damage the fuel pressure regulator.

1. Restricting the fuel return line allows the fuel pressure to build above regulated pressure. With the battery voltage applied to the fuel pump test terminal, the pressure should rise above 455 kPa (66 psi), as the valve in the return line is partially closed.
Tim's Auto Repair
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
97 Tahoe 5.7 vortec. Replaced rotor button and cap, all
97 Tahoe 5.7 vortec. Replaced rotor button and cap, all plugs are sparking, new maf, new coolant temp sensor, new injection spider with new regulator, strobe tested each injector plug for pulse, new f… read more
P0441 replaced under hood purge solonoid [bracket broke and
P0441 replaced under hood purge solonoid [bracket broke and no work thru snap on solus} new one works.Code PO446 is gone.Replaced canister witch has new pressure sensor and solonoid,solonoid works thr… read more
Jim
Jim
1999 chevy tahoe: accelerator..off wont start..ten mile..parked start
i have a 1999 chevy tahoe got the 5.7 liter the problem i have is it first start of the day i start it it run i say okay let it idle continues to run okay after about twenty mins say if you pat the ga… read more
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
2002 Oldsmobile Alero: will crank but wont turn over..controls
My 2002 Oldsmobile Alero will crank but won't turn over. It really seems to be some sort of electrical issue that controls the fuel delivery system because the car will start and run/perform just fine… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
1993 Trooper: 4WD..liter..cam..fuel pump/filter, spark, injectors etc
1993 Trooper 4WD automatic 3.2 liter dual o/h cam, 195K miles. Runs great but won't start when engine is warm. OK starter, fuel pump/filter, spark, injectors etc.… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
2002 mitsubishi montero: xls..check engine code P0174 system
2002 mitsubishi montero xls ,check engine code P0174 system too lean (bank 2) what does that mean and solution.… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1996 Pontiac Grand Am: 000 miles..going down..jumped..the timing chain
Hi I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 160,000 miles on it and my car just shut off going down the road and won't restart.When turning the engine over it sounds like it jumped time.So I checked the timing … read more
Joe
Joe
Shop supervisor,
98 kia sportage: coil packs..crank sensor..cam sensor..fire and feul
changed motor in 98 kia sportage and it will not start. replaced plugs coil packs crank sensor cam sensor throtle pos. sensor and computer also feul pump it is getting fire and feul when cranking it h… read more
Online Wrench
Online Wrench
1989 Chevy: 5.7 TBI...truck..started right..only starts..battery dies
1989 Chevy K-5 Blazer w/ 5.7 TBI...truck always started right up. Now, all of a sudden; only starts early morning (or) late at night and, only with quick start fluid. Otrherwise, battery dies trying. … read more
Ivan
Ivan
Automotive Instructor,
getting fuel..throttle body..injectors will spray fuel win jumped
The engine cranks over and has spark. it is getting fuel to the throttle body. The injectors will spray fuel win jumped with a small wire. what would not tell it to give fuel? It runs kind of rough wi… read more
ase_master327
ase_master327
Owner & Student,
98 Dodge Ram 1500: AC..2WD..5.9L FI V8 was not cooling
AC low side pressure in range, high side pressure low, where do I go from here? The AC on my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD 5.9L FI V8 was not cooling. I have tested and replaced the rectifier diode in the pow… read more
Leo
Leo
Fuel pressure , timing and compression and noid..wont start..coil
has spark , fuel pressure , timing and compression and noid are all ok ! won't start on starting fluid either ! new cap rotor plugs wires coil… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
1998 GMC SUBURBANS: ODB..CKP..SENSER..CMP..I TRUBLE SHOOT
MY 1998 GMC SUBURBANS ODB- ll SHOWES A FALT CODE P1345 CKP SENSER/CMP SENSER CORRELATION .HOW DO I TRUBLE SHOOT?… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
92 wrangler: rio..start unless..throttle body..it runs and drives fine
My 92 Wrangler won''''''''t start unless I pour a little fuel in the throttle body. Then it runs and drives fine. I am not getting an error code and swapping the ASD relay did not help. Anybody have a… read more
AUT0PR0
AUT0PR0
AUTO. DIAGNOSTIC TECHNICIAN,
awd..it warms up runs good turbo and all checked the ecm trouble code
i have a 92 eagle talon tsi awd turbo check engine lite on hard to start hot or cold. acts likes choke sticking open if it had one,after it warms up runs good turbo and all checked the ecm trouble cod… read more
ServiceTech
ServiceTech
1999 Tahoe: starting fluid..throttle body..temp sensor..fuel filter
I have a 1999 Tahoe it will not start when cold I have spark and fuel if I spray starting fluid in the throttle body it starts with no problems and it will start fine when warm. I have replaced the co… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
1999 chevy blazer: cap..rotor..fuel and the correct fuel pressure
I have a 1999 Chev Blazer and it stopped running and it has spank and fuel but will not crank. Have replaced the distributo cap and rotor, camshaft sensor and also the ECM. Has plenty of fuel and the … read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
1993 chevy cavalier: it shuts down..fuel filter fuel pressure reg
I have a 1993 chevy caviler 2.2L car starts fine when cold as soon as it goes into closed loop it shuts down. will not start again till cooled off no codes on scanner. replaced 02 sensor,coolant temp … read more
Tech501
Tech501
Lead Technician,