Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Saab 93: convertible..dashboard..The climate control works..comes back…

Hi I have a saab 93...
Hi
I have a saab 93 convertible - 1998.
There is a problem with the aircon. The levels and fluid pressures are ok but the garage said there was popssibly a problem with a sensor inside the dashboard area. The climate control works fine (except for blowing cold), except occassionaly it stops blowing altogether and then comes back on a few minutes later.
Any suggestions
Thanks and regards
Dave
6/24/2010
Mark N
Mark N, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome!

If I understand you correctly, the air from the vents is not cold, and the blower fan stops blowing at times.

If this is indeed the case, it sounds like you have two separate problems.

The problem with the blower fan is most likely the fan speed controller, which is mounted behind the glovebox, on the side of the evaporator housing. These sometimes go bad because of a fan motor that's drawing too much current. So it's possible that you need both of these components.

If the freon is fully charged, and the air is still not cold, this could be a number of things in the refrigeration system. You need to have the system diagnosed by a competent shop. The actual AC system isn't any different from any other in regards XXXXX XXXXX it operates, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that can do this.

If you need more info, please feel free to write back. Thanks for checking in with us!

Thanks Mark

Could it be something simple like the acc sensor not blowing air onto the thermistor - that would be easily remedied?

regards

Yes, it could be something simple like that. An electrical fault would keep the compressor from kicking on. Can you tell if it is engaging when you turn the system on?

Is the noise just a click when you switch on or something running?

regards

You should hear a click when it turns on. Also, you can look at the compressor and see if it's running.

With the engine running, take a flashlight and look down at the compressor. It's below the power steering pump and water pump. The center section of the pulley will turn with the belt when it's on, and then stop turning when it's switched off.

If it is working the way it should, the problem is in the refrigeration system. If it doesn't engage when it's switched on, there's an electrical problem preventing the compressor from turning on.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your all help.

I am struggling to see the end of the compressor as it is very tight down that side of the engine but at least you have helped to identify if it is electrical or refrigeration. If the centre section is turning on the compressor can I safely assume that the electrical side is fine - or could it still possiby be the acc sensor?

regards

Yes, if the center section is turning, the electrical side is ok, which is to say that all of the conditions are met for the system to request compressor operation, and that request is actually getting to the compressor. Any time it's running, it should produce cold air. If it doesn't, the refrigeration side of the system has a problem, and this is where you should start your diagnosis.

Let me know how you make out!

Sorry Mark if I seem a bit slow, but just to be sure - as I look in the engine bay am I correct in assuming the compressor is just below the water pump towards the front of the engine?

Hi mark

please ignore my last email.. have checked and the compressor definately goes on when system is activated, and turns off when heating is stopped.

I am assuming now that there is no fault with the acc sensor??

Is there anything else I can check?

regards

It's a pretty safe assumption that the sensor is ok. You may hear noise coming from the fan, which is part of the assembly, but the temp sensor is probably working. Something that you may want to replace sometime down the road, but right now you just need to get the ac working.

You need to take it to a shop to have the ac system diagnosed. Not only for a full charge, but also have the working pressures checked to determine what component is bad. This is a job best left to professionals familiar with ac work.

Mark N
Mark N, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for all your help
No problem. If you have any more Saab questions, I'll be here!