Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

blew..dealership wanted nothing todo..thought it was the head gasket…

Customer Question
I bought a car and...
I bought a car and within 2 days the turbo blew. the dealership wanted nothing todo with it so i took it to a mechanic to figure out what the acctual problem was. thought it was the head gasket but after tearing it apart, found out it was just the turbo. well then the dealership decided to help and they were gonna put a turbo on it and a new head gasket. but to get it out of the first mechanic i had to pay him 300 $ for the tear down time of a head gasket. well he didnt cover the parts or anything and i couldnt get the money to get it out so my cam shafts rusted out while it was sitting there. he said he would try cleaning them and he did but they are so rough in spots that its just gonna chip up and break after a short time. I want to take him to small claims court but i wanna know if i even have a chance and learn as much as i can about it so i have a better chance of winning.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/23/2010
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Your chance of winning will be based on evidence, so take pictures of everything. Also in some states it is illegal to record a person without their consent but in 34 states only one party consent is needed, that would be you. If you live in a "free" state where it isn't a crime to put a recorder in your pocket and stroll in and have a conversation with the mechanic about the rusted cams, it would be great evidence. Another thing is Jury's tend to side with consumers in these cases even if the consumer isn't totally right, I think it is based on dislike of mechanic rip offs.

So here is the most important thing I will tell you. Go talk to a lawyer that knows your state laws, ask him what you can and cant do. That is your one and best source for guidance in this matter. I think you have a good chance. Think compile every last shred of proof, and get legal counsel as to how you need to move this forward. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.