Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

willing to reccomend a car for my teenager (girl) $3500 to $5000…

Customer Question
would eny of you be...
would eny of you be willing to reccomend a car for my teenager (girl) $3500 to $5000. my wife and her will be doing trips to school activities and will never have need for more than 4. It's about 12 miles to school.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/23/2010
Auto Mechanic: JOHN, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
JOHN
JOHN, ASE Certified Technician

A older Toyota 4 cylinder Camry would be perfect Try Auto Trader,

Not having much luck finding one. How many miles is too much for the toyota. What do you think of Hyundai and kias. I found a kia spectra ex,77k miles clean for $5000.
A good camry that has been taken cared of 200-300k. You should be able to find one in the 60-70k miles. A new Hyundai or Kia would be ok, the older ones are nothing but trouble and hard to find parts.

Also a older honda accord or civic would be ok.

What is the oldest i should go on camery.

It depends on what you what to spend, I dont know the prices in your area. Any Camry made in the mid-late 90's would be perfect for a 1st time driver. Just make sure the

car has been taken care of and maintained.

Are there any tricks to get a feel for how well a camery was maintained and not just cleaned up real good?

If its cleaned REAL good it may be hard to tell. I would ask for service records so the can prove they maintained it. Other then that do your best and look it over, check the fluids make sure they look fresh and clean. Check for oil leaks. Look for body and

structure damage. Make sure ever thing works and A/C gets cold. And run a Carfax report on it.